Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Comm 20/40 Blind hand

full game. morning time tuesday morning. i had been playing all night and i was at the " im going home next orbit" mode, but i was up for the session, so i was in a good mood.

i have a tendancy to just check my Big Blind if its checked to me in the BB and not even look, and see what develops after the flop. not the best habit, but whatever, it keeps my game fun after a boring stretch.

so the hand.

Im BB, New player in the SB who has no problem bluffing at pots and has been caught 2 times now having to show total bluffs, MP is an older very aggressive man and Lp is a younger asian guy who plays pretty straight forward, aggressive when he has a hand, folds when he misses.

so the 4 of us go to the flop with no raise, and i do the "no look check my option, wait for the flop"

flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB and ME check, MP fires 20 into the pot and the 4 chips make it almost all the way to the other side of the table, LP guy calls very calmly, SB now makes it 40 and i look at my cards finally and see A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

what would YOU do.

ill tell you what i did if anyone has any ideas.

THANKS!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Comm 20/40 Blind hand

Pretty easy 3 bet here. I know you don't want to hear this but look at your freakin cards. You can raise from the BB ya know. And there are many times when you should.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 PM

60 and go from there.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 PM

ha i was prepaired for the " OMG UR an idiot look at your cards WTF" statements. and i dont do this ALL the time. sometimes in a fun game after a while i just do this to amuse myself and it makes the other players confused as well.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a tendancy to just check my Big Blind if its checked to me in the BB and not even look,

[/ QUOTE ]

I only do it when I'm still stacking a big pot and the cards get mixed up with the chips.

Yeah you should look but OK, every now and again.

Obviously you need to 3-bet the flop...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM

Not looking pre-flop is a misdemeanor. Checking the flop blind is a felony.

MP is very aggressive, what if you have a hand that needs protecting, and you need to bet so he can raise?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:26 PM

All aboard the three-town express, next stop value town.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Fold. You have two pair, but if a 4 comes, you're counterfeited. If a 5 or 2 comes, someone likely will have a straight. Any card other than a 3 or A could give somebody two bigger pair, or even a set. Additionally, a heart might make someone a flush. Lastly, you might well be behind to A-4, A-A, 4-4, 3-3 or 5-2 even now. What could the small blind have with which to raise the entire field? He's already been caught twice having to show total bluffs. Surely he has the goods now.

If you 3-bet, everyone will know you have two pair, so you won't win much from them after the flop unless they have you beat. You're either going to win a small pot or lose a big one.

MP firing his chips into the pot is obviously a reverse tell strong-means-weak trying to fool you and the calm call seems to me to be a slow play with a powerful hand. You'll be sandwiched between the fast-playing small blind and the others, the worst position for the expensive streets. Why mess up your good, "im going home next orbit" mood with a bad beat here so close to the end?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM

OK, OK, Andy, as always your logic in infallible. Hero should not 3-bet, he should check/fold.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:45 PM

The LP is said to play straightforward and aggressive but only calls the flop. The SB has been caught bluffing twice. Why couldn't SB have a draw or an Ace or possibly a worse two pair here. I would have to be there to be able to make a laydown here assuming I had a great read of the situation.

There are clearly many cards that can beat you on the turn but shouldn't we wait for that to happen before folding here? Since this hand is vulnerable I am starting to think that waiting to see what comes off on the turn and possibly raising the SB may be a better play.

I think the analysis in the argument for the fold is good but I am still at least calling here. My first instinct here would be to three bet but I am wondering if just calling and waiting for the turn is better.