Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Stars $55 - AK early getting 3-bet

I have been finding myself in this type of situation a lot recently (getting 3-bet w/ AK with a lot of chips still behind). Do we really have much FE if we 4-bet? And isn't calling and c-f'ing missed flops pretty weak? What other options do we have?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t2890)
MP3 (t7285)
CO (t3275)
Button (t2725)
SB (t2145)
BB (t4280)
UTG (t7110)
UTG+1 (t3215)
MP1 (t2420)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t350, Hero...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Stars $55 - AK early getting 3-bet

[ QUOTE ]
I have been finding myself in this type of situation a lot recently (getting 3-bet w/ AK with a lot of chips still behind). Do we really have much FE if we 4-bet? And isn't calling and c-f'ing missed flops pretty weak? What other options do we have?

4-betting/calling &gt; folding

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t2890)
MP3 (t7285)
CO (t3275)
Button (t2725)
SB (t2145)
BB (t4280)
UTG (t7110)
UTG+1 (t3215)
MP1 (t2420)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t350, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that u definitely have FE if u decide to 4-bet (your raise is from MP, so his 3-bet range might be wider), the prob is that 4-betting might fold PP's like 99;TT, which is good, but it might also fold AQ. If u think AQ is in his 3-betting range, then calling might be better.

Against an unkown, i usually 4-bet AI here, esp when BB cold calls.

4-betting/calling &gt; folding
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 PM

I think BB ALWAYS has a monster here. JJ+.
Call and check fold missed flops is fine.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's your read (and i don't agree, unless u have a specific read on BB)...then why call/check-fold??? You're scared he has JJ-AA and u check-fold when an A or K flops?
Are u calling to flop a flush?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think JJ is a monster against two players, I would not be calling with JJ in the bb. I'm pushing, I'm pushing JJ+ from the bb. and I'm playing AKs if pushed at pre and raising a raiser allin this early in tournament,
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If that's your read (and i don't agree, unless u have a specific read on BB)...then why call/check-fold??? You're scared he has JJ-AA and u check-fold when an A or K flops?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he meant was to c/f non A|K flops.
As to the BB, I think he's range is indeed JJ+, maybe TT,AK (but not likely). I think you can call here getting about 4:1 with the suggested flop plan.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As to the BB, I think he's range is indeed JJ+, maybe TT,AK (but not likely). I think you can call here getting about 4:1 with the suggested flop plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling with a read that BB has JJ-AA has serious reverse implied odds...u win a small pot when an A or K flops (and they have JJ;QQ...and u lose a big pot when an A or K flops when they have KK;AA.) 2/3 of the time u fold when no A or K flops...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Calling with a read that BB has JJ-AA has serious reverse implied odds...u win a small pot when an A or K flops (and they have JJ;QQ...and u lose a big pot when an A or K flops when they have KK;AA.) 2/3 of the time u fold when no A or K flops...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right, I didn't think it through.
Fold then...
Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT on the reverse implied odds, but I also agree with your earlier post that his 3-betting range could very well be a lot wider than others are stating as we raised from MP. We also have plenty of FE on our push.

4betting AI&gt;calling&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;folding
Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT on the reverse implied odds, but I also agree with your earlier post that his 3-betting range could very well be a lot wider than others are stating as we raised from MP. We also have plenty of FE on our push.

4betting AI&gt;calling&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;folding

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the reverse implied odds are brutal here if you call. I agree to 4 bet.