Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Default 1010=nuts................................. or no?

Villan is a calling station

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($97)
Button ($186.95)
Hero ($102.70)
BB ($157.95)
UTG ($231.25)
MP ($104.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $11, MP calls $11.

Flop: ($43) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $21</font>, UTG calls $21, MP folds.

Turn: ($85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero??????

All in?
c/f?
c/c?-i dont have enough to call the turn and fold river
b/f?- i dont have enough for this
whats my best play here?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: 1010=nuts................................. or no?

The three bet oop against a utg calling station is not a great idea. An over card is going to hit the flop a large percentage and therefore you are almost sure to be in a spot like this unless you flop a set.

TT is not a great hand, flat call preflop. Would you raise like this with 99?

As played I would try to get to showdown as cheap as possible.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM

There is nothing wrong with the 3-bet PF..unless villian is a total nit, I'd do the same with 99/88. I wouldn't it do everytime but something like 70/30 with TT, 65/35 with 99, 35/65 with 88.

The flop bet is a little small... I bet somewhere between 1/2-2/3 the pot. Depending on villians aggression, I b/c a passive player, and CRAI an aggressive player.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:28 PM

preflop is good, calling is ok but you want value preflop vs a calling stations wide range.

flop, i like at least a $28 bet here. i can see him calling your cBet w/ any pair (putting you on ak most likely)

turn, i like a b/f here if he was aggro (more chance him trying to take it away if chked to) but he is a CS (prob not agro), i can see him calling a bet w/ any J and probably folding all other pairs which you want value from.

i would say check reevaluate here, if hes not agressive, hes not betting anything less than a J. also if it goes c-c here it will allow you to get a value bet vs all small 1 pair hands on the river.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:51 PM

utg is a calling station.

When 3bet this hand preflop oop you will be c-betting a over card flop a large percentage of the time into a guy who is going to call light. So now you will be at the turn with a ~50 BB pot, oop with second or third pair. This is a marginal spot I would try to avoid, I don't see how potentially putting yourself in a spot like this is more +EV than flat calling preflop.

You are against a calling station. You will have plenty of time to get value, why rush to get it preflop when you have seen &lt; 25% of the cards that will make up your hand.

I believe the majority of the time this hand should be flat called preflop and used to take the guy to valuetown with the many more options you will have by flat calling.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Given the remaining stack sizes and blank card on the turn you really have to commit to this hand and push. I would prolly raise more preflop, CB is fine. Fine because your really more scared about the other opp. A 3/4 CB would also be good and possibly be more + EV though its marginal Against a calling station his range is wide and you may be surprised by what he calls down with.

I don't agree with flat calling preflop. Effectively you are then playing for set value against 2 opp oop. By raising preflop you can win the hand immediately preflop without contest. Remember you also want to create an image whereby you will also get action when you 3 bet preflop with AA KK etc.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Raising preflop with TT b/c you may take the hand down against a donk calling station... ok. Taking down pots preflop is where the big bucks are made?.. my bad

Playing TT oop in a 3bet pot against a donk calling station as the preflop aggro... ok.

Stupid me for thinking these are bad ideas, I guess.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM

No ones calling you stupid so quit being so sensitive. The 3-bet with TT is for value. You probably have the best hand PF, and want villian to make mistakes.

FR this is just a call with an UTG raise, 6-max you should generally 3-bet unless villian has a super tight UTG range. If anything, I think calling makes this hand harder to play OOP as raising narrows his range a lot more...you'll be folding the best hand a lot more on the turn/river with a flat call PF.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No ones calling you stupid so quit being so sensitive. The 3-bet with TT is for value. You probably have the best hand PF, and want villian to make mistakes.

FR this is just a call with an UTG raise, 6-max you should generally 3-bet unless villian has a super tight UTG range. If anything, I think calling makes this hand harder to play OOP as raising narrows his range a lot more...you'll be folding the best hand a lot more on the turn/river with a flat call PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why I want to narrow his range preflop? I have a hand with good showdown value against his large range.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:11 PM

I like 3betting because squeezing brings a smile to my face. If there's no caller, I don't really mind calling against a UTG raise