Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Default AK multiway, scary board, best line?

Live 20-40 at the Borg. I'm losing. Villain in this hand is a friend of mine, SSmallz. He has so many racks he can't see over his chips very well.

Villain raises UTG. I 3-bet AKo in UTG+1. MP1 coldcalls (just sat down), MP2 coldcalls, Button coldcalls (loose preflop). Blinds fold. UTG completes. 5 to the flop for 16.5 SB.

Flop A98 spades. (I don’t have a spade). UTG checks, I bet, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls, and my friend check-raises. Plan from here?

Thank you for your thoughts...
Old 09-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: AK multiway, scary board, best line?

Pot is huge, your hand is vulnerable, call the CR and raise the turn. If you're ahead now you're probably not WAY ahead of the field and the turn card might change your equity alot. A red ace makes your hand much stronger, while the Ten of spades makes your hand worthless.

If he checks the turn, bet.

Fold if a spade rolls off on the turn.

I don't know the villain in this hand and I'm not sure if this gives away your hand against him(it should), although I'm not sure if it matters. Would he play the hand this way with KQs or KJs if he flopped the nuts? Or would he wait til the turn?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:52 PM

What in the world are they calling a 3 bet preflop behind you with? Anyway, seems like you're in a classic reverse implied odds situation. UTG may have AK with the K of spades, KQ with the Ks, AQ with the Qs (less likely) or a set of 9's or 8's. What about the 2 behind you? What are they peeling the flop with? or are they waiting for the turn with a made hand? Being in the middle puts you in a bad spot.. Even so the pots too big, so you can't fold so your options are to 3 bet immediately now or call and hope to raise a safe turn card. If you can fold the other 2 out with a 3 bet now, then that is your best choice. It will make the rest of the hand easier to play. If you don't think you can isolate, then calling and raising a safe turn might be better.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:24 PM

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that when 3 people coldcall 3 preflop, they are terrible at poker. Coldcalling 3 correctly is such a rare situation that we have to assume that 99% of people coldcalling 3 preflop are clueless as to what they're doing. I assume their ranges include pairs, suited big cards, suited aces and suited conncetors since "They play those hands on TV"

So assuming they suck, we also need to assume that they will peel very light on the flop, and won't fold to 2 more bets on the flop since they called the first bet.

While they may have outflopped us, we have to assume they started with weak hands, and those hands are still weak yet have a reasonable chance to outdraw us. We need to protect our hand and a turn raise is our only option to do so.

Just realized that's alot of assumptions, but we have nothing else to go on.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:45 PM

I am not going to comment too much since I know the results of this hand. I just hope your thought process was something like this. "Smallz is a huge nit that is playing 20/40 without surfdoc's backing for the first time. He just checkraised a huge field including me who 3 bet his UTG raise before the flop. This is bad. Very, very bad. How can I get this to SD as cheaply as possible and still protect my hand."
Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not going to comment too much since I know the results of this hand. I just hope your thought process was something like this. "Smallz is a huge nit that is playing 20/40 without surfdoc's backing for the first time. He just checkraised a huge field including me who 3 bet his UTG raise before the flop. This is bad. Very, very bad. How can I get this to SD as cheaply as possible and still protect my hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI I was playing anything but nitty all night and running pretty enfuego
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM

I think this is a pretty standard call and raise a safe turn card.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So assuming they suck, we also need to assume that they will peel very light on the flop, and won't fold to 2 more bets on the flop since they called the first bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge difference between peeling the flop light and putting in 3 bets(two more cold) with something like QJo

I guess I'm wrong but I would've 3bet very quickly.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like standard call flop, raise/fold turn imo.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge difference between peeling the flop light and putting in 3 bets(two more cold) with something like QJo

I guess I'm wrong but I would've 3bet very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they've called 3 cold with QJo, and have the Q or J of spades, they aren't folding even for two more.