Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Default discipline...

With poker I have above average discipline i think. I read alot of strategy, i get quite some hands in, and i know when to quit. When up or down. But with studying I have zero discipline at all. Going to college, but i pospone everything. The stuff i have to learn is mostly insteresting, and not really boring.

Basicly at high school I never did anything and had zero discipline neither. How do you guys do this?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: discipline...

You'll mature with time. Hopefully sooner than later. I was a terrible student in highschool and I've gotten a little better now that I'm in college. You can try to change your habits but I honestly think that its one of those things that happens on its own.

I wish I had discipline in poker. I can't seem to stop playing HU4ROLZ.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:24 AM

I was useless at high school, useless at college and got into gear at uni, got a 2-1 and got my ideal job. Discipline comes with age. At the moment you are probably following what your penis tells you and your ego, so now might not be a good time to play poker.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was useless at high school, useless at college and got into gear at uni, got a 2-1 and got my ideal job. Discipline comes with age. At the moment you are probably following what your penis tells you and your ego, so now might not be a good time to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol this is bs, why would everyone my age have a huge ego?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is spot on. Young men tend to think with their penis and their ego. That is common knowledge.

If you don't think that is the case that is fine but you might want to consider it is all.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is spot on. Young men tend to think with their penis and their ego. That is common knowledge.

If you don't think that is the case that is fine but you might want to consider it is all.

[/ QUOTE ]
well your less experienced, but saying this is true for all sounds kinda stupid.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM

I didnt say that it was the case for all people your age, i used the word 'probably'. As previously state that it is common knowledge. Hell i know i was back then. I certainly felt that back then the thought of winning money was too great, i didn't really understand the value of it.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt say that it was the case for all people your age, i used the word 'probably'. As previously state that it is common knowledge. Hell i know i was back then. I certainly felt that back then the thought of winning money was too great, i didn't really understand the value of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my case your probably right, I got a big tilt problem, and my big ego is probably the cause. I just dunno how the hell i fix it. Sometimes i have sick good sessions, and like 2/3 of the time i tilt and get angry way too fast. I think i could be killing the games if it wasnt for that.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 AM

I was the same and i'm not so bad any more. However i can't really pinpoint the difference, there maybe several reasons though:

- I am done with education. I now don't have to worry about deadlines etc, i am now in a 9-5 routine in a job i love and don't really come accross any changing stresses. By that i mean that i know what each day is going to bring pretty much. This means i don't have any unusual or pressuring worries at the poker table, especially financially.

- I respect the money because it is mine. I played off my student loan a couple of times and was too worried about losing it because i know i probably shouldn't be using it. Now it is my own money and i am full control of what i do with it.

- I respect bankroll management. Previously, say 2 years ago, i didn't really believe in the concept of bankroll management. I was too money hungry to really consider it and would play outside of my roll, where beats really hurt.

I have had many many attempts at an online bankroll and my last one was the first that was truely profitable. I have started again lately and this time i KNOW i will do it. I have been thinking about my mentality at the online tables when away from them. I have tried to drill into myself that there is little to no point playing if you are even remotely thinking badly. There is no point in even going to the table unless you are in the frame of mind to make correct decisions and laugh off bad beats.

If i could sum all of this up in a very short phrase:

"Don't kid yourself, if it doesn't feel right, don't play."

It will begin to feel right the more you play, but let it come, don't force it.

Cheers,

CrustyFace
Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 AM

So, you don't feel like doing something else but what you feel like doing at the moment. About the things one figures one needs to do, those one does if one has to, and if one doesn't do them, one doesn't and one just has to accept it as it's what one is. One could of course try to improve on discipline.