Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Poker newbie

Hello guys,

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm 31 years old - living in Belgium and poker is getting REALLY popular over here , where it was non-existent or very underground a decade ago. Small successes in home games made me check out the online poker rooms. And I must say that I find it fascinating.

I also can't understand why people , when there's money involved , don't brush up more on their game. I deposited some money on PKR (the 3D poker room) and at the low level SNGs i must say that it is a HUGE FISH TANK !!!
No - really - and I think it is because it looks so fancy. People are distracted by the hot pixelated babes showing very deep cleavage. I actually changed my online character to a woman wearing a very skimpy dress and I have guys flirting with my character. I flirt back a little and in the process I part them with their money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've only been playing for a month now - and I only read Harrington Vol1 and The Theory of Poker. I am completely dominating the games there. I open up 3 tables and consistently end in the money just folding weak hands , raising when in position and with decent cards and watching all the people kill themselves off by pushing all-ins with very mediocre hands. Or more importantly losing their composure because the game progresses too slow. I deliberately slow the play down by waiting to fold sometimes just to make my opponents who are not on 3 tables very impatient and that way they make mistakes. Not very nice of me but I feel you have to outsmart your opponents.

I try to play every day and I want to get better at this , no .. I want to be excellent at poker. I use a spreadsheet to track my expenses and winnings and I made my own spreadsheet with the Sklansky's MTT Tournament Strategy that I found in some article (have ordered the book) and that got me quite far : I enter my stack size , the big blind size , and my position on the table and my spreadsheet tells me wether I should go all-in or fold. Got to the final table of a 500-man MTT with it yesterday.

Anyway , a big hello to everyone out there and good luck at the tables !
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Poker newbie

Hi and welcome.

Never played that site but I may check it out at some stage.

If you have only been playing online for a month the only thing I would say is be careful. This can be a very streaky game. You may be playing well or you may have variance smiling on you just now. Variance can be a very fickle lady though - she will flirt with you then drop you and go and sit with the other guys at your table. Never trust her.