Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM

Default DVD Club Discussion: Festen (The Celebration)

I enjoyed this startling and original film very much. It was engrossing, relentless and dramatic, and I loved the fact you really didn't know what the hell was going to happen next. I really thought it was going to be a Bergmanesque drama about the mourning of the dead sister, but it was way more tragic than that.

I'm glad to have seen it, because outside of the DVD Club, I really wouldn't have bothered.

I'll say more later, but give others a chance to comment first.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: DVD Club Discussion: Festen (The Celebration)

Haven't received it yet but I am definitely looking forward to it. Hopefully I will watch it later in the week.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:32 PM

Not sure if everyone watching this realizes it was made under the Danish "dogme95" rules invented by the film's director Thomas Vinteberg, along with others like Lars von Trier. The rules are: stories must be set in the here and now; the films must be shot on location, with a handheld camera, using natural light, and direct sound; the rules forbid murders and weapons (staples of the much-loved action-movie genre); and, most amusingly, the director must not be credited! It was sort of a joke and they weren't going to do it forever...but it did inpsire this incredible film...
Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 PM

read the manifesto
Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM

katy mentioned in the other thread that she had been looking for festen without any success. the celebration is the english title and most likely what you will find the film listed under.

also, where's fyodor?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I watched it and my head is still spinning. I will comment on it later as I have to go out right now. This movie has a very heavy topic! Not exactly my favorite topic and I think it's probably a good thing that MrBaseball didn't see it.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:15 PM

I don't have a lot of time to type up a well thought out review. Here are some random thoughts -

This film was freaking INTENSE. It's like diebitter said, it's engrossing. You don't really know what's going to happen and there are so many distinct characters. Nothing like watching a family get-together degenerate (and boy do I mean DEGENERATE). And I thought my family was messed up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

These people throw one hell of a party. I was sitting there the entire time thinking holy [censored], what the heck is going on? This dude has gone off the deep end. And then the story just kept going and going and I started to get a little peeved. I guess I thought it was pretty unrealistic to do that. I mean how many times did Christian come back into that dining room and give a speech? It was making me very uncomfortable [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

I thought the character of Michael was really fascinating. One thing I liked about this film was how it portrayed dysfunctional and complex families. Even adults can crave their parents acceptance and Michael, while a little over the top, is actually not that far from reality.

Michael was a complicated character, brilliantly acted. Lol at his marital fights with Mette. Jesus that was entertaining stuff. I mean my god, the scene with the shoes? And Mette was no wimp, she could dish it right back. You won't see anything like that on American TV or even in a Hollywood film. Those two took fighting to a new level for me. Holy moly. And that scene where Michael is slapping Michelle...Oh my God. Now that I think about it, Michael slaps the [censored] out of a couple people in this film. The guy has too much testosterone!

Overall the 3 siblings in this film were a very spunky bunch. They weren't afraid to fight that's for sure.

I thought the cinematography was awesome. I really really liked it. I felt the concept of the story was too weird for me, probably because I just don't find it realistic at all. What kind of dad would ever do such a thing? I didn't buy it. As far as the acting went it was really good. The 3 siblings were excellent.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:24 PM

amazing. someone watched it! too bad people aren't participating, as this is an intense film.

katy, unrealistic?! that's probably the most offensive thing that you could say.

oh well.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:29 PM

rothko,

I liked the cinematography and the acting very much. It was a very engrossing movie with some crazy intense scenes. I thought it was beautifully filmed. But why is my saying it was an unrealistic storyline offensive to you? I just can't see any dad abusing his children like this. At least I'm willing to say what I think. Did you do your writeup yet?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM

oops, seems i offended you, katy. sorry, didn't mean to. i'm glad you watched it and wrote your thoughts down.

i just don't think it's fair to say that the storyline is unrealistic. these things do happen and to say they don't is a slam to the people who live them.

there is a world of experience that extends to nearly infinite boundaries beyond our own.