Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 AM

Default NL50: AA limped UTG, fold to river bet?

Though I would normally raise with AA here, I sometimes go for the limp/reraise to mix up my play, especially at rather aggressive tables. Obviously, I didn't work out here as planned.
Like to hear some comments on the flop play, I was going for the c/r hoping to get the pot HU. At the turn, I hope BB is just taking a stab and I can take the pot down here without much resistance. If called, I think I'm pretty much done with the hand.
BB is 24/4.8/o.53 over only 41 hands, nothing unusual so far.
MP2 is 18/3.5/0.85 over 115 hands, pretty weak tight.
All comments welcome, though I think we don't have to discuss the PF play.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($37.40)
SB ($74.10)
BB ($18.95)
Hero ($40.75)
UTG+1 ($41.90)
MP1 ($16.60)
MP2 ($27.55)
MP3 ($41.85)
CO ($31.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($1.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP2 calls $4, BB calls $2.50.

River: ($13.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3.5</font>, Hero ?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: NL50: AA limped UTG, fold to river bet?

I wouldn't mind a fold too much on this river. you are sandwiched between 2 opponents on a horrible board facing a bet with someone still to act behind you. BB's turn bet seemed like a stab but it could also be a draw trying to get there cheap. once MP2 calls the reraise on the turn and a spade comes off I'm done with it.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 AM

I would probably lay this down as he probably isn't bluffing into two players here. The bet is real small and if you didn't have aplay left to act that just called your turn raise I would feel better about a call.

I would have bet this flop here though. I don't think you really want to give a free card here. Hope that BB calls your flop bet and then you can bet fairly about 2/3 the pot on the blank turn and check the blank river a lot.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM

You need to lead this flop. There's enough deception in your hand already by limping AA that you don't need to c/r the flop.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM

Why go for a c/r if no one has shown agression preflop? Not sure I understand the reasoning here, unless MP2 has been getting out of line and stealing limped pots on the flop like mad.

I'd just pot the flop.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why go for a c/r if no one has shown agression preflop? Not sure I understand the reasoning here, unless MP2 has been getting out of line and stealing limped pots on the flop like mad.

I'd just pot the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That what I was hoping for, MP2 trying to steal the pot or betting with something like top pair. I was going for the c/r as I wanted to take down this pot ASAP, especially with the FD I did not want a weak call by someone with a FD and second pair or something. So I figured a strong looking c/r could finish this hand right here.
General opinion seems to say though that a "normal" bet would've been better here and I think I agree to this now.
@ ActionStan: you even flatcall the river with this scare card? It completes FD, a strange inside straight draw and could easily make someone two pair like KJ or J9, both hands that could've easily limped in.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM

I'd call because of price and lack of aggressiveness on the part of the MP player.

You have to call $3.50 into a $17.25 pot. Are you going to win this 1 time in 5? Probably. I'm not going to get bluffed by MP. If he raises behind us, we're beat and we let it go. But I'm not going to fold getting 5-1 because a backdoor FD, an inside straight came in and there's a passive player to act behind us. It's very possible that the BB is setting the price for a weak K.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Wow, really no one is scared enough of this river card to just let it go? I didn't expect that...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM

I probably call this, but I doubt if you are ever good here. The fact that BB has managed to lead with any bet means that his hand is twice as strong as an average player's, and with the guy behind as well.....

TBH, you asked for this by not betting that flop - classic FPS I'm afraid.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with the FD I did not want a weak call by someone with a FD and second pair or something. So I figured a strong looking c/r could finish this hand right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just lead the flop with a roughly pot sized bet then you welcome a flush draw or two pair draw calling assuming you arent going to pay off if the flush card comes. Being an ex limit player, I often used the c/r in no limit to protect hands. Wait a minute though. In this NL game you get to decide how much you want to bet? Ok. Then I just bet enough to kill you drawing odds. c/r not neccessary. If you are hella concerned about a draw, you can always overbet the pot.