Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Borgata Poker Open: can you get away from this hand?

i have about 650k in front of me, which is about 2x the chip average at this point in the tournament, which is near the money bubble.

blinds 5k-10k with 1k antes. folds around to me in the small blind with 10c10h. i raise big blind to 30k. bb is mark seif, who has a similar chip stack, makes a comment about why im making such a big raise and calls me.

flop comes Jd 9d 5c
i bet out 50k and he calls quickly
turn is 6h
i bet out 75k and he calls quicly again
the river is 10d
i check and he bets 150k.

i call and he shows 7d 4d for the flush and i lose a 500k+ pot. is it possible to get away here or does a fold just cost you money? try to imagine that you DONT know the result. lets hear your thoughts
Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Borgata Poker Open: can you get away from this hand?

Why did you tell us the result if you don't want us to know it? You're just being results oriented. You played it fine, since he's betting any two pair here but it's unlikely to call a raise. The one thing that I would say is that your turn bet is very tiny compared to the size of the pot (under half pot) and I would imagine you have no clue why you're betting on the turn. Is it a bluff? A valuebet? If it's neither, then you should be checking. "Charging people for their draws" is NOT a good reason to bet.

Either check the turn or bet more depending on what you want the bet to accomplish.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you tell us the result if you don't want us to know it? You're just being results oriented. You played it fine, since he's betting any two pair here but it's unlikely to call a raise. The one thing that I would say is that your turn bet is very tiny compared to the size of the pot (under half pot) and I would imagine you have no clue why you're betting on the turn. Is it a bluff? A valuebet? If it's neither, then you should be checking. "Charging people for their draws" is NOT a good reason to bet.

Either check the turn or bet more depending on what you want the bet to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving people incorrect immediate potodds and implied odds to chase draws is an excellent reason to bet.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 PM

c/c the turn. If Seif didn't have a flush draw, he would've raised you on the turn with air, and you would have to fold.

In fact, check calling the flop might be a good option as well.

You HAVE to bet the river. He's calling with many worse hands. And if he raises, then you can get away from it.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 PM

NONO.

Check/call river is PERFECT against Mark Seif. He is the easiest player in the world to take to value check town. In the 25k I did that pattern to him out of the blinds four times. Bet/called, bet/called, check/bet/called marks hand instantly hits muck.

Every once in a while he shows up with a hand, and it was unfortunate that it was against you this time- but I love your line in this hand.

Devo
Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving people incorrect immediate potodds and implied odds to chase draws is an excellent reason to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 02:20 PM

i dont see how checking the flop or the turn is a good idea. i was fairly certain i had the best hand on the flop. after the turn bet things got a little murky, as the size of the pot was getting pretty big. on the river i thought the 10 made it impossible to get away from: the only draw that hit was the flush draw and my hand suddenly became huge vs any made hand except trip jacks.

i'm not quite sure what betting more on the turn would have done. i figure with the 75k bet im threatening him not only with the bet but a potential sizable bet on the river, meaning he has to fold marginal hands, and i thought seif was completely capable of peeling a card on me after the flop. do you think if i bet 100-125k he goes away on the turn?