Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Default New to Omaha, Basic Concept

Hey everyone.. I'm new to PLO Omaha after having played shorthanded limit for the last two years.

I've read a bit of Rolf, and one idea that struck me was how preflop, very few hands were significant favorites over a random hand.

That said..is pushing my hand here for all the dead money a good idea, or should I have called and re-evaluated on the flop? (And yes, I know that not raising this the first time around was a big mistake...don't know why I didn't)

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $41.70
UTG+1: $7.95
CO: $42.70
Hero: $26.60
SB: $16.75
BB: $32.55

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $0.5</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $2.75</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $17.25</font>
Old 09-11-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: New to Omaha, Basic Concept

At this level you should not 4 bet with this hand. SB had aces much of the time. The advantage of being in position is negated when you get allin preflop.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 PM

you're actually applying a pretty advanced concept, but I think this is the wrong hand for it, since if anybody does have AA (and it'll happen often enough, even with the A in your hand) you're in bad shape. I'd much prefer this play with a doublesuited rundown hand that's going to be EV neutral against AA if it does get called.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Ya, at PLO25 SB has teh Aces at least 80% of the time here and you're getting it in with like 30-35% equity. Just call the raise and play a pot in position. You have a good multi-way hand, not a big pair that wants to isolate and get it in pre-flop.

EDIT - re-read your post and you seem to be saying that you know SB has you dominated but you don't mind getting it in because of the dead money in the pot.

Well fair enough, this play may be approaching neutral EV (from the -EV direction), but I can't see it being profitable with these stacks. (You would need to be shorter.) As cmyr says, it would be better with a hand that plays well against Aces.

Also it's exploitable. Since it looks like both of you have Aces (assuming SB shoves), you will get other callers, because in an AA** vs AA** vs **** match-up, **** is a favourite. The guy to your right MUST call with shove with any four cards, which means you're not getting the dead money equity.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 AM

it was very bad reraise because at these limits raise and reraise means someone probably have AA most of the time
Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 AM

i'm pretty sure re-raising here is profitable, but just calling is definitely more so.

edit: also, you you have a good hand to 3-bet after the cutoff raised.