Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 AM

Default theory pokerstove question

Trying to develop my own pushbot-chart - not quite sure if this is the right forum for my question - feel free to move it.

I'm in the BB, folded to SB, he shoves and turns the cards face up. With blind and ante obviously already in the pot - a worse hand than his would justify a call. Depending on the pot odds obv.
Is there an easy way (perhaps with pokerstove ore some other free available software)to find all the hands I can call profitable?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: theory pokerstove question

The best way to do it is to put in a variety of hands and see how they hold up. Let's say he turns over K8s. He pushes for 600 total, blinds are 100-200, no ante. So, it's 400 for you to call and there's 800 out there. You're getting 2:1 to call. So, you want to find what hands are at least 33% against K8s. Just pick random hands. Do 55 to see how an underpair rates. Do A2o for a low A. Q4 for a low Q, QT for two in between cards, etc. Just pick an assortment that will give you an idea of hand types. You won't need to know that a 54s is exactly 35.6% (didn't run that), or that T3o is 26%. You just need to know things like "against a hand like K8s, hands such as xx, yy, zz, etc." are at least 33%."

I suggest creating Excel files that will show you what hands will be what % against different hand ranges. That way, you have an idea of what odds you need to be getting to profitably call a raiser whose range includes 5% of all hands, 15%, 20%, etc. Memorize types and ranges, not exact hands and exact percentages.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: theory pokerstove question

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to develop my own pushbot-chart - not quite sure if this is the right forum for my question - feel free to move it.

I'm in the BB, folded to SB, he shoves and turns the cards face up. With blind and ante obviously already in the pot - a worse hand than his would justify a call. Depending on the pot odds obv.
Is there an easy way (perhaps with pokerstove ore some other free available software)to find all the hands I can call profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be more practical for you to think in terms of SB having a "random hand" in this scenario...since in practice, you will never have the benefit of him having his cards faceup. If you choose to assign a specific hand for SB, you could then stove specific hands then compare your equity vs pot odds. Stove also has a "random hand" feature.

There is also a useful chart in Matthew Hilger's book entitled "Texas Hold'Em Odds and Probabilities" (p.226) that shows winning percentages for any hand vs. a "random hand."

Disclaimer: This is not a 2+2 publication...so you didn't hear it from me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]