Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Default I just moved to LA. Where should I live?

Cliffs notes: see subject.
---

Just got into town on Wednesday night and I know nothing about LA. I took a couple rides with an old buddy yesterday and today, and discovered that I like Hollywood, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Studio City, and Pasadena. If I were moving to San Francisco I would probably pick the Mission, Cole Valley, Lower Haight, or somewhere near Duboce Park-- if that is of any value.

I know traffic matters a lot here, so if it helps: I work in North Hollywood now and will probably be working in Woodland Hills by the end of the year.

I have a dog, so a nearby park would be nice.

Generally, what makes me happy is to be able to walk down the street to the bar and the grocery store, with interesting, outgoing people kicking around for odd conversations and cold beers. HELP ME OOT!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: I just moved to LA. Where should I live?

The problem here is the fact that Woodland Hills and North Hollywood are pretty damn far from each other commute-wise. You can live in Los Feliz or Silverlake and go to North Hollywood, but not so much Woodland Hills.

Sadly, you are destined to live in the Valley.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:12 PM

Even though it's not for me, I'd recommend Toluca Lake. It's right by Studio City, very close to North Hollywood, and has a nice park north of Ventura Blvd for dogs.

Avoiding the 101/134/170 traffic to No-Ho for work is paramount, and living in Toluca Lake will help. It's close to a lot of fun stuff on Ventura (several bars you can walk to if you live within a couple blocks of the boulevard), rents are reasonable, and it's more laid back than Hollywood.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 PM

I would've said Toluca Lake if I wasn't so determined to bag on the Valley. If you have to live there, as OP does, I think Toluca Lake is the pick.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Hey guys thanks for the advice.

Private, why is Toluca Lake not for you?

Slim, is the Valley so bad that it's worth the commute from somewhere else? I'm assuming you dig Los Feliz for some reason [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 PM

Put simply, the Valley is the suburbs; the other side of the hill is the city. There's nothing that wrong with the Valley, except it's like 6-8 degrees hotter all the time and is flat flat flat flat flat. Honestly, if you're 100% sure you're going to end up in Woodland Hills, Malibu or Topanga almost makes more sense.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Private, why is Toluca Lake not for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too far from the places I like to go in Hollywood, WeHo, West L.A., etc. But as an area itself it's fine.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 PM

You guys make me want to quit my damn job.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 PM

Might as well driving in LA is deadly and anywhere decent to live is expensive compared to your location (Barcelona). And lol please don't live in the valley zomg
Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Generally, what makes me happy is to be able to walk down the street to the bar and the grocery store, with interesting, outgoing people kicking around for odd conversations and cold beers. HELP ME OOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

take a look at the neighborhood where i used to live. i think you'll like it. check out the area between beachwood and bronson on the north side of franklin ave at the edge of hollywood/los feliz. @ franklin & bronson is the following:

grocery store (mayfair market)
deli & wine shop (victor's = awesome)
french restaurant/bar (la poubelle, good times)
bookstore/newsstand
record store
coffee shop
restaurant / sports bar (birds)
italian restaurant / wine bar (prizzi's)
stage theater
boutique clothing shop

massive scientology celebrity centre across the street has 24 security patrolling on bikes = neighborhood is very safe (+ nutsy scientology students will go on "missions" in the neighborhood every now and then where they ask random people (you) questions like "what's the first thing you notice about me?" which provides a fair bit of entertainment value lol.)

the neighborhood has a close knit / artistic kind of vibe to it. you get a good balance of people from the neighborhood mixed with people from all over the city coming to the bars & restaurants. and it's all within easy walking distance, plus everything in hollywood is within a few miles without having to get on any freeways. i loved it when i was there, and i will probably move back someday.

edit: lol just actually read your post and saw that you're going to be working in woodland hills. honestly, you need to find a different job. otherwise, bottom line is you're going to have to either deal with a hellish commute every day or live in the valley which blowwwwwwwws. you're not going to find any interesting neighborhoods anywhere near woodland hills.