Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 AM

Default moneymaker effect orly?

watching the main event on espn, lon and norman credit moneymaker with creating the poker boom and make it seem like he is largely responsible for its overwhelming popularity. do you buy this? taking into account that Rounders came out in 1998, if we rewound the clock to the year 2000 and ran it all again and moneymaker didnt win or didnt even play in the main event, do you think poker makes it to this point?

or take it back even farther to 1995, do you think that internet poker would be inevitable?

i personally think Rounders and espn showing the main event played far and away the biggest part in getting people interested in poker, and that ultimatebet, pokerroom, and later party poker would form and blow up and we would be here again almost certainly if we ran it again from the year 2000. i dont think moneymaker had much to do with it at all. from 1995, im not so sure.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: moneymaker effect orly?

I think Moneymaker created the hope that the average Joe could play in the WSOP through a fairly inexpensive satellite. The numbers on entrants into the WSOP Main Event has climbed recently because of this.

Moneymaker symbolizes the concept of turning a modest satellite investment into millions.

However, I agree with you that the boom in general and the growth of Internet poker is the result of the lipstick cam.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM

I think Moneymaker had a huge impact. Yes TV coverage has played a great part in this but it needed a “symbol of hope” that said anyone from anywhere can be the world champion. This gave us all hope.

He won through a small satellite, as we all can, and that name was just magnificent.

The other major impact was for TV to be able to see the hole cards. When they allowed this it suddenly became a spectator sport. Brilliant change that many pro’s didn’t want to see at first.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Moneymaker created the hope that the average Joe could play in the WSOP through a fairly inexpensive satellite. The numbers on entrants into the WSOP Main Event has climbed recently because of this.

Moneymaker symbolizes the concept of turning a modest satellite investment into millions.

However, I agree with you that the boom in general and the growth of Internet poker is the result of the lipstick cam.

[/ QUOTE ]

if known pros were winning the main event every year, all the of broadcasting/marketing in the world wouldn't draw this many fish.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Moneymaker's effect cannot be underestimated. Varkonyi wins the ME in '02, and while he's an amateur, he really is not Everyman. If you note the steady grownth from 2000-2003, that is the internet effect.

Moneymaker creates the paradigm shift. Here's how he differs from Varkonyi: His name; he won an online satellite; the timing of his win with the advent of hole-card cams; the fact that he's an accountant from U Tennessee, not an engineer from MIT.

It isn't just Moneymaker himself, or the internet, its the convergence of all these factors that creates the boom.

The Perfect Storm. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't just Moneymaker himself, or the internet, its the convergence of all these factors that creates the boom.

The Perfect Storm. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice analogy.