Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Default I donk the turn

Button is 25.52/15.63/1.4 ATS 22% on a small sample.

I didn't 3 bet pf because he had a low ATS to steal and I'm a chicken.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB
Old 09-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: I donk the turn

wtf is he folding here ? I dont get it, looks like a check raise was the only way to get any more money in and you blew it ! so take notes and check raise him next time
Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM

I don't know maybe 99 or KQ, but it is not the problem. If he fold for 1 bet, it is quite unlikely than he bets the turn given the flop action.

My question is more about the donk on the turn in order to avoid a free card and if I'm too passive on the flop.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is he folding here ? I dont get it, looks like a check raise was the only way to get any more money in and you blew it ! so take notes and check raise him next time

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you suggest Hero should c/r the turn? If so thats spew IMO.

@ OP

No reason to donk the turn unless you have a specific read that he will 3-bet the flop for a free card. That turn is a brick and there is no way he is checking a made hand.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 PM

3bet pre
as played preflop I would cap the flop and lead the turn, calling down to any more action

I think that c/r the turn is giving too much action and I don't like letting TAGs use their positional advantage against me
Old 09-09-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No reason to donk the turn unless you have a specific read that he will 3-bet the flop for a free card. That turn is a brick and there is no way he is checking a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 9 outs against QQ and KK, he can have a FD or overcard. I thought I had almost nothing to lose and maybe a bet to win.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 9 outs against QQ and KK, he can have a FD or overcard. I thought I had almost nothing to lose and maybe a bet to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point.

I am not saying it is bad to bet as such. I am saying he is gonna bet for you anyways and by c/c'ing you avoid getting raised by his better hands.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Don't be afraid of free card plays heads up short handed. This type of thinking really doesn't apply here. If he takes a free card his hand is face up and forfeits any chance at winning the pot unimproved. I laugh when people take free cards in heads up pots because it lets me play the river perfectly.