Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 PM

Default **8 table - Thread***

not sure if this is the right fourm to post this but i'll give it a shot

hi after finally finding a site where i can get rakeback i hooked up a second monitor and started 8 tabling 25nl i have the roll to do 50nl but just wanna get used to 8 tabling first 6-max.my question is it is nearly impossible to keep reads on players since its your action every two seconds i mean i use a hud but cant pick up patterns, is it better to just play them like there all there own individual table eg. 25/20 or just play like a complete nit 17/12 i have tryed both but seems after a 3 hrs session approx 2000 hands i'm not up that much maby i'm just concentrated about getting all the raakeback i can a little to much feel free to comment?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: **8 table - Thread***

It sounds like you might benefit from playing less tables. I don't really see the point of playing more tables just because you are getting rakeback. Your rakeback percentage doesn't change whether you play, 1,2, or 8 tables. And if it's negatively affecting your win rate it's definitely not worth it. Scale back to a more comfortable number of tables. You can always gradually add more tables as you get more comfortable and are able to make decisions quicker.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 PM

I 8 table using the gelford system. Basically only 22+ and aq+ and raising very liberally from the button. I do fairly well, but I am not playing as high as you do the players might be harder or willing to bluff because I don't try to fade too much resistance.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 PM

Open up winamp on the second monitor and forget it can be used for poker. And what do you mean your rolled for 50nl? You need like 1500 to be rolled for 8 tabling 25nl.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:21 PM

Ok - how about this - play 4 tables for 5K hands, concentrate - take notes - use your reads, then play 8 tables for the same amount of time (so 10K hands) and see which one produces the most $ per hour.

Some people here seem to be more suited to nitting it up on 8 tables and just letting the money drip in, whereas others can squeeze every last drop of value out of hands and make more by 4tabling and taking advantage of every situation...
Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 PM

ok nevermind then i'm around 2k but still fell this is where the profit is at if i can get used to it and i know the rakeback % dosent change it just rakes in 8* faster
Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 PM

A couple of things to remember:

1) 2K hands is a TINY sample - especially 8 tables

2) You will not improve as a poker player by "nitting it up" - you will just turn into a robot [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok nevermind then i'm around 2k but still fell this is where the profit is at if i can get used to it and i know the rakeback % dosent change it just rakes in 8* faster

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that but if 8-tabling isn't profitable (or as profitable as playing less tables) it really doesn't matter.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM

I've tried both - playing high for rakeback & trying to break even, & trying to play well until I'm crushing a certain limit.

You aren't going to like the former. The lower your winrate, the higher your swings are going to be. I don't know your goals, or what you want to make, doing this at 100NL for example is like $17/hr in RB, but a lot harder than for the $9/hr at 50NL, simply because 100 is that much swingier. Be prepared for 10-15 buy-in swings on a weekly basis.

Also, 2K hands/3hrs is nothing. If you are planning on playing for rakeback, I think it's a bad idea, but you aren't really gonna know until you've put in at least like 100K hands/150 hrs.

My advice is to try to play at your skill level, i.e. limit you can beat, and move up as bankroll/winrate dictates. Once again, all depends on your goals - are you tryin' to have a steady income like $1K/week, or are you trying to move up & be able to beat higher and higher limits? The two aren't the same.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM

at 5nl and 10nl you don't need to do anything other than play robotic poker. You cant out play the guy who has no clue what he is doing. I am playing a good amount of hands and trying to get to nl25 where I will scale back some and open my game up a little bit.