Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Default value bet here?

Live 12-24 game, temporarily playing 6 handed due to walkers and seats that the floor hasn't filled yet.

Villain is an internet player who apparently has been very successful online. I think when he plays the 12 game he sorta feels like he's slumming a bit, so he can get a little wacky. In general he's a solid, thinking player but he can be hyper aggressive.

He likely views me as tight and solid, but not too tricky or aggressive (maybe even weak-tight).

PF Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Villain raises in UTG+1, Hero 3-bets next in, folds to villain who calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, 7.5 SB)
Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain calls.

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players, 4.5 BB)
Villain checks, Hero checks.

River Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players, 4.5 BB)
Villain checks, Hero...?

Anyone value bet here? How's the rest of the hand?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:29 PM
 is offline

Default Re: value bet here?

I really prefer a turn bet to get him folding a straight draw, T or 99. You're probably toast when he calls a river bet, and he may even bluff c/r your "weak/tight" ass here. This is an easy river check, imo, but you missed a turn bet...
Old 09-07-2007, 02:29 PM

can't think of very many EP openers you beat at this point (maybe 77, which won't call you). maybe you can get 99 to fold, but basically all broadway hands beat you and will likely call so i would check behind.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 PM

What is the value of betting pocket eights to three overcards and a retardo KJ for a straight?

I'll check here and show down my eights. Your opponent will only fold an unapaired hand and possibly check raise with a better hand such as two pair.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 PM

If I were betting, it would be as a bluff.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Honestly, how small is the range of hands that you beat here that villain might call with?

Considering villain might check-call here with Qx, Tx, 99, and maybe even (trickily) some As, the range of hands that beat you if you get called is much, much larger than the range of hands you beat.

So please don't bet.

P.S. Bet-folding the turn is going to be right a lot of the time in this situation, but I don't hate the turn defensive check if villain is as tough / aggressive as you claim he is.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:56 PM

I check the river regardless of what I did on the turn. I think I bet/fold the turn most times here, but I don't mind a check behind here considering this hyper agressive type may go for a turn c/r bluff. Against many others I bet once more on Turn and put no more money into pot.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks all for the input. I did end up checking the river and took down the pot (I showed first and he mucked). It occurred to me afterwards, though, that if he was willing to call the flop with a hand that I beat, then maybe he would also call a river bet with something like 55-77, or even worse (he is capable of screwing around PF with some pretty weak hands, so he could even have a 2 or 4). Thinking about it now, though, the check does seem best.

I'd bet/fold the turn against most players, but against this guy I knew I'd feel really uncomfortable facing a turn c/r, so I made the defensive check. I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out he called the flop bet planning to c/r the turn with very little, but then gave up when I checked behind.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Wondering, how confident would you feel calling his river bet on this board?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wondering, how confident would you feel calling his river bet on this board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Confident enough - I don't think he gives me enough credit (or I don't give him enough credit) to be sure that a river bet has to be for value.