Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM

Default The Science of The Paranormal (Sticky?)

An extremely mysterious interesting and empowering topic...
Are there any scientific evidence for the paranormal?
Personal stories etc...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: The Science of The Paranormal (Sticky?)

[ QUOTE ]
Personal stories etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

No it ain't, it's boring as all get out. Precisely because after all the best efforts of various people, their just isn't any good evidence for that junk.

Remember that any scientist worth the name would simply LUV to find that one of those notions had even a smidgen of truth in them, if only because he'd instantly be held in awe with the likes of Newton and Uncle Albert. But that hasn't happened and won't.

The real interesting aspect of paranormal "studies" deals with why people throughout millenia continue to hold onto such notions, in their various forms. You can learn a lot about what makes us smart apes tick that way.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personal stories etc...

[/ QUOTE ] Most of Paranormal activity are dismissed by scientists. But I think what is really interesting is why we obsess so completely over these stories. Look at the success of Stephen King as evidence. My hair cutting lady asked me what religion I am and I told her I was atheist. She said, “oh that’s very interesting, I’ll bet we think the same way. I don’t believe in the kookiness of Jesus Christ, but I believe that aliens visited this planet and continue to visit this planet . . . “

Yeah right, we believe the same thing. I guess paranormal activity is fun to believe in because you can make up all sorts of really cool stories - evidence the Twilight Zone and the X-files. For some reason, these stories seem to universally raise the hair on people’s arms.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 AM

surely supernatural is a better term than paranormal.

Paranormal just makes it sound a bit out of the ordinary and a little easier to accept. If its just a bit out of the ordinary then whats so special? Supernatural is more impressive, because it is, by definition, impossible.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
surely supernatural is a better term than paranormal.

Paranormal just makes it sound a bit out of the ordinary and a little easier to accept. If its just a bit out of the ordinary then whats so special? Supernatural is more impressive, because it is, by definition, impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

Main Entry: para·nor·mal
Pronunciation: "pa-r&-'nor-m&l, 'pa-r&-"
Function: adjective
: not scientifically explainable : SUPERNATURAL

Main Entry: su·per·nat·u·ral
Pronunciation: "sü-p&r-'na-ch&-r&l, -'nach-r&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin supernaturalis, from Latin super- + natura nature
1 : of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially : of or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil
2 a : departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature b : attributed to an invisible agent (as a ghost or spirit)
Old 09-08-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Science of The Paranormal

[/ QUOTE ]

Oxymoron!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:59 AM

I am quite sure that the main reason people believe in the paranormal is because to believe otherwise is acknowledge that a small percentage of the world has a very good idea how things work and that they have no prayer of joining that group.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am quite sure that the main reason people believe in the paranormal is because to believe otherwise is acknowledge that a small percentage of the world has a very good idea how things work

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, I have no idea why they would believe in the paranormal. It sounds too much like the supernatural to me to warrant any credibility!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 AM

The real reason why people believe in the paranormal is for the most part to escape the limitations of the observable world.

Like a good book, Tv or anything its just something with which to enrich ones life, unfortunately people like Derek Acorah have also realised this.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 PM

I've never been quite sure what to make of PEAR, the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research lab.

On one hand, it sound like total [censored], and the main professor sounds like a bit of a crackpot. On the other, it's associated with a top-tier research university, and it sounds like they've always at least tried to take a scientific approach.

It was in the news earlier this year, as the founder is retiring and the lab is closing:
A Princeton Lab on ESP Plans to Close Its Doors (NY Times)