Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 08:06 PM

Default PL Draw anyone?

Been playing Pokerroom 5CD limit for about a year now - quite enjoy the game, a decent change from holdem and omaha.
Today I decided to give the pot limit version a go and within two hour I decided I wanted to rip my head off and throw it at the wall. Is it me or is this the most irritating game in the world? In the same hour I got dealt AAA and draw to a straight only to get beaten by 3 card draw quads both times. I gave up when some time later I was dealt a pat boat 77733(?) to be beaten by an allin donk who drew 1 to a better boat.

Anyone have any experiences/tips of PL draw ? I know I am new to this board and have yet to offer anything of any use to anyone - I note that not much is written about this version of the game and would like to start some sort of thread...

Thanks all.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: PL Draw anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
In the same hour I got dealt AAA and draw to a straight only to get beaten by 3 card draw quads both times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing something I think. How do you get trip aces and draw to a straight? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 AM

sounds like you just had a nightmare session. It happens in all games, not any more likely to happen in PL Draw.

Norman Zadeh's book covers some PL. You can find it used online. Malmuth's book and Caro's chapter in SuperSystem don't cover PL. I have heard that Mike Wiesenberg is working on a column about PL Draw to appear in a future issue of CardPlayer Magazine.

Some very general and vague hints-I'm more willing to play high flush draws in PL than in limit due to the implied odds if you hit (assuming no miracle quads, of course). I hate straight draws more in PL than limit because it's too expensive when someone else hits their draw too. Two pair is always the trickiest hand to play in draw and it's harder here than in limit. Low two pair is often just best avoided if you aren't the first to enter a pot; same with stuff like QQ and JJ. I'm more likely to make a big laydown in PL than in limit, but on the converse the big bet nature does make it easier to attempt bluffs.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the same hour I got dealt AAA and draw to a straight only to get beaten by 3 card draw quads both times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing something I think. How do you get trip aces and draw to a straight? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume this was two seperate hands: one with trip aces and the second where he made a straight draw. Both got crushed by quads.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:13 PM

I consider myself to be a solid decent 5 card draw limit player and began playing PL Draw at 24hour back in May. I have a very good track record in limited tournament play there (both Multi's and SNG's)but I can't get a handle on PL Cash games.

It seems like the suckout factor is huge in this game, and the regulars like to gamble it up and draw to flushes all day long, and they get there often enough to punish you when you've played your Aces up, or trips too strongly.

I've (temporarily?) given up on the game outside of tourney settings, and am back to the comfort zone of limit draw! Can't wait to see Weisenberg's article to see what I've been doing wrong! Good luck with the game should you decide to keep up with it.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Default May I request a favor ?

I've been hearing about this article for awhile and like you I am eager to read it.

If you see it before I do could you send a link to me via PM ?

Or is he planning to publish it on here (2+2) ?

- I've been very busy of late and while I've heard rumblings about this article I've heard nothing concrete.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can do this for me.

- Chris
Old 12-28-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: May I request a favor ?

I've been trying PL Draw out as well and it is a hell of a ride and most of what's been writen is useless for this game.

The swings in my BR have been insane.

Will be keeping an eye out for the card player article, Wiesenberg writes more on draw than anyone.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Re: May I request a favor ?

What I have trouble with, I think, is the seemingly insane amount of boats and quads from 3 card changes. In holdem you are used to dealing with Aces cracked at 4/1 odds and then moving to draw you find your Aces are cracked at 90/1 boats draws. I have sort of rectified it in my mind that generally 3 players are drawing 3 with a pair each hand and therefore a boat in these cicumstances should be seen 1 in 30 hands or so - but it still hurts (especially in a PL game) when you are on the receiving end of one of these miracle hands!