Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 04:01 PM

Default What\'s your all-in range

Blinds are 100/200 you have 3,500 average stack is 6,600. Folds to the button when you are the BB, he raises to 700 with 7,000 left behind. What range/situations do you push here?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: What\'s your all-in range

SB's stack? history? Tough to answer in a vacuum
Old 09-06-2007, 04:03 PM

SB folded
Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 PM

yes but did he have a lot of chips? His stack affects how aggressive the button may be..circle of life and all
Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Good point, think he was a little below average---call it 5k
Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 PM

unless he has been doing this a lot I play it pretty snug...and pushing isn't quite the only option...again and I can't stress this enough it's hard to give a range without being there and having a read...you have a decent amount and you can still play poker...if he has been attacking a lot I may play back hard with 88+ A10 suited+ etc but only if I feel a steal
Old 09-06-2007, 05:15 PM

This is very situational. Oddly the nittier we have been, the looser we should now repush. The looser we have been playing, the tighter we should now repush. (see circle of life comment above).

Lets say I had folded every BB so far at this table, and SB hadn't played a SB yet either. Button has above average stack and has two nits behind him. He should be raising something like 50-70% of his hands here, and we can repush profitably with probably any two cards, since he will only call our repush with something like top 12% or better, since we have been so nitty. Any two cards at all are +EV to push in this spot. We only get called something like one time in 5 or less, and no card is worse than 20% preflop and we have overlay in blinds.

Conversely, if we and the SB have defended somewhat regularly, and if we have shown looseness, then he probably is raising for value, with position, and a strong stack, perhaps something like 22+,A2s+,A8o+,broadway
(stove, 22+,A2s+,K8s+,QTs+,J9s+,T9s,98s,A8o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo )

Thats only 25%, and even with loose players behind, he might be raising somewhat wider. If so, we are likely to be called from a push with maybe something like top 10% or so. Perhaps I am overestimating our fold equity here, but if so, it just means he has more cruddy hands in his range.

So, me, I push something like 18% over him (thats:
66+,A5s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,ATo+,KTo+,QTo+ in stove)

You will note that this is MUCH wider than the prior posts as replies.

So how can I justify pushing QTo here? (one of the worst hands in my range?) Well QTo is 31/68 against a top 10% range, but almost 2/3 of the time, I win without a showdown.

If you run the math using the ranges I listed, you will see that this is +EV to the tune of a couple hundred chips.

It really depends on factors:
A: How wide is his raise range here.
B: How tight is his Calling range here.

Doing much other than a push, with anything but a premium, I dont think is a real good plan... We sure dont re-raise and then fold to a push, so the only reason to raise less than a push is to entice action, or possibly to save the rest to push on almost any flop (which might be a good plan as well).

So to those that list 88+ and ATo+, please justify with some hand ranges of what you think his open range is and his calling range is. You will see that playing that nitty is far from exploitive. Can anyone show me a button that with this stack size FOLDS 66 when folded to? seriously? no one. How bout Aces. What button with the big stack folds a suited ace here if your the button and its folded to you and your the big stack? no one.

His open range HAS to be at least 25%.. now how tight does he call our push? it must be something smaller than that, isnt it? and if it isnt, than we can repush for value with almost as wide as I have listed above.

Saying to fold 77 or KTs here is far from correct.

4Card