Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Razz - 4th street play after catching bad

As a beginning razz player I have heard over and over again, that calling a bet on the 4th street, when you catch bad and other player(s) catch a baby, is a HUGE mistake. But after seeing a few instructional videos I saw very good player taking a card off pretty often after catching bad.

This is a spot I have most trouble with. When is it right to see another card? How big pot do we need for that? I understand, that if there is no raise in 3rd street, it is an easy fold. What about 2 players taking 4th card for a single raise? Still easy fold? 3 players? 2 players for a raise and a re-raise?

Would appreciate some basic advice, how to proceed on 4th street after catching bad.

Thanks!

eStone
Old 09-04-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Razz - 4th street play after catching bad

Stone, m'boy, this is the place for such a conversaation. We just had a whole long thread on it, as I am of the "call a brick on 4th" persuation.

I can't remember the thread title, I'll see if I can dig it up. But it's about a lot of things. Is the pot raised on 3rd so you have some odds to call a brick? How good is your hand? You playing 875 or A36? Were a lot of your cards out on the board? How many opponents are in this hand and how good do they look or play?

See how simple that was?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 AM

Get Sklansky on Poker. Read it while you're at it. In a nutshell, if it was one bet or less on third street, the pot is usually too small to continue if you catch a bad one while someone else catches good. If it was two bets or more on third street, the pot is big enough that you are forced to call for one bet even if you catch bad.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get Sklansky on Poker. Read it while you're at it. In a nutshell, if it was one bet or less on third street, the pot is usually too small to continue if you catch a bad one while someone else catches good. If it was two bets or more on third street, the pot is big enough that you are forced to call for one bet even if you catch bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, Andy, I just realized something. The average post is about 100 words. The average book is about 100,000. In the time you have been posting here, you have written the equivalent of six full-length books!

And that's just here.

OP - I found the thread - Easy Fold on 4th? It's a pretty thorough discussion of issues.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:26 AM

If I were to publish a book, I would hold myself to a much higher standard than I do here. That's part of the reason I haven't.

I'll guess that my average post was a lot more than 100 words for a few years there.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 AM

Thanks Prax and Andy, obv I wasnt expecting the whole truth in 100 words, but buying SOP and studing the suggested thread will get me in a much better shape.

See you in the FT of the WCOOP razz event [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]