Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Stars 20/180 TP vs Turn Min-Raise...What the...???

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button is bad...but has been getting very lucky. He's not aggro at all, esp post flop. He didn't raise small river bets twice, once with the nut flush and the other time with the nut str8 (boards were paired both times, but given the previous action, FH was very unlikely.) I've never seen a line like this...min-raise pre, lead for min on the flop, call a raise...then min-raise again on the turn? What could he have here...this is not the type of player to semi-bluff a draw.
Hero (t12200)
UTG (t10715)
UTG+1 (t9545)
MP1 (t4995)
MP2 (t11717)
CO (t5769)
Button (t23524)
SB (t7671)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
5 folds</font>, Button raises to t800</font>, 1 fold</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t2000) A[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], K[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], 2[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets t400</font>, Hero raises to t1500</font>, Button calls t1100.

Turn: (t5000) 4[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets t3000</font>, Button raises to t6000</font>, Hero...???
Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Stars 20/180 TP vs Turn Min-Raise...What the...???

I think it's pretty safe to say you're beat here. I think he has at least two pair, the only question is whether it was AK or if the 4 helped him.

Some donks like to bet min with big hands, to get you to call or raise, though usually they will 3bet your raise. He didn't do that, which either means he is passive (also would explain the min bet) or he had A4, made a crying call and got lucky.

Does he make a lot of min bets on flops as cbets? With air? Does he trap with min bets? These reads are helpful. Looking back over the hand, a bluff is possible, though a very poor one if so. Still, I'd probably lay this down.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Stars 20/180 TP vs Turn Min-Raise...What the...???

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty safe to say you're beat here. I think he has at least two pair, the only question is whether it was AK or if the 4 helped him.

Some donks like to bet min with big hands, to get you to call or raise, though usually they will 3bet your raise. He didn't do that, which either means he is passive (also would explain the min bet) or he had A4, made a crying call and got lucky.

Does he make a lot of min bets on flops as cbets? With air? Does he trap with min bets? These reads are helpful. Looking back over the hand, a bluff is possible, though a very poor one if so. Still, I'd probably lay this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time, i really only knew that i was prob beat...looking at the HH, the only (logical) hands that he could take this line with are 44;A4; and K4hh...of course w K4hh he should have lead much stronger and 3-bet my flop raise, but i have seen some players take really, really weak post flop lines with strong hands like a Pair+FD. I've also seen a tendency (for these types) to raise pre, lead for very small bets with weak aces, then call down, even if raised. Since he was not aggro post flop, i have to give him credit for a hand here (never air), esp given the way i have played it so far.