Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Home Game: Strategy for 200xBB tourneys

I suppose this could go in the Home Poker forum, but I thought more people would read it here.

Have been playing STT with 70xbb for starting stacks, and used the standard tight early/aggressive late strategy.

How much do you loosen up in the early rounds when stacks are deeper, such as when playing a 200xbb tourney? Or do you play the same strategy.

I feel like I need to splash around more than usual in 200xbb tourney, especially when there are some loose players who spew chips unless they suck out.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Home Game: Strategy for 200xBB tourneys

how fast do the blinds increase?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:59 PM

every 20 minutes.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Is the payout standard 50/30/20?

If your starting stack is 200BB and the levels are relatively long, like maybe 20 to 30 minutes or so, then I would definetly get in there and splash around with the chip spewers through the early and middle rounds.

If you're playing ten minute levels and the blinds roughly double each time then it's equivilant to a superturbo online (with a bigger starting stack) and I would probably just splash around in level 1 and 2.

By splash around I mean play cheap speculative hands preferably with position. Also assumes you're better postflop than the average opponent in the given games.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 PM

Blind structure is not double each round. Structure is close to 2006 WSOP blind structure, but we don't use antes and there is a 75/150 round. Payout structure is slightly steeper than traditional 50/30/20. More like 63/27/10.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 PM

You can play more speculative hands because the implied odds are very good. However, the larger starting stacks doesn't change the fact that doubling your stack doesn't double your equity and chips losed are worth more than the ones gained.

So, you still shouldn't be 'splashing' around a tonne.

Aside note: Some friends finally convinced me to play in a home game (I don't usually agree to play.) Well, obv they all really sucked. These guys love to make the games go as fast as possible so they can play as many games as possible.

With four left in the second game we all had effective stacks of like 5 BBs. So, I wasn't even looking at my cards pushing into 2 of the three of them cause they were so tight.

It was actually fun shoving every hand with out looking. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM

only open up your game if you play well enough that deep to make it +EV to do so
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 PM

playing these home game sngs makes a nice change from turbos for me , alows me to actually play post flop poker, in these types i play suited connecters and lower pairs more frequently etc , but my advice would not to be too liberal with starting hands if you have a good post flop game.