Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Default expert level play or spew?

BB is bad, like 90/45 and aggro over 40 hands
SB is a TAG reg, seems pretty good

BB has 4SB left on the flop

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) yourface is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">yourface raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB caps</font>, yourface calls, SB calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">yourface raises</font>,

my thinking was that if SB had a strong hand he would have c/r the flop. by betting it looks to me like he is trying to use the BBs aggro and stack off tendencies to protect a weak hand like AK AQ 77 that I can push him off of

thoughts?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: expert level play or spew?

[ QUOTE ]
my thinking was that if SB had a strong hand he would have c/r the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldnt he also be trying to use him to get 3-bets in on the flop?

This pot is pretty big now, seems like the SB would b elookin gyou up with almost anything just because of the pot size.
Plan for the turn? or if you get flop 3-bet?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:30 PM

fire turn and river UI with the initiative
if I get 3bet, call turn fold river ui
Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 PM

So SB seems good, has threebet you OOP preflop, and (probably not unexpectedly) got capped by the BB, creating a large pot where everybody is planning on winning a showdown or not at all. SB then donked into BB's likely raise, making the pot even more hugerer, and your plan is to take him off a decent hand after the BB surprisingly folds thus clearly taking the protection off the pot?

I have my doubts.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 PM

I think the problem with these plays is that the threshold for the size of the pot needed to justify making a stab at it is usually higher than the threshold most players will apply to calldown with a weak hand. That is, the 9SB may well be enough to convince the TAG that he needs to showdown 77 (unless say an A hits the turn) or that he needs to keep peeling with AK and then pay one more bet on the end in case you had diamonds or air. But 9SB is probably not enough to justify firing 3BB at the pot to try to take it away.

BTW, if you are 3bet on the flop, I'd obviously peel but calling UI on the turn would be bad I think. The pot would have 7.5 BB after the flop, so you'd be getting 8.5-to-1 on a call. Obviously any T, 9, or diamond is improvement for your hand as well as a K or Q. The trickiest card to handle would be a non-diamond A on the turn, where any option could conceivably have merit.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:47 PM

I think he expects BB to raise and I wonder if he plays like this to get a chance to build a big pot with a strong hand or to shut hero out of the pot with a hand thats not strong but probably better than BB. If I was villain it could be either of thoose alternatives.

It's quite strange that BB folds to 1SB after capping pf on this board and it puts hero in a strange situation. I think villain has at least AK here and raising and leading turn is probably our only chance to win this pot and if he's capable of folding A-high on turn, it may be worth a try. If c/r on turn I think its time to let go of this pot.