Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 AM

Default A fundamental question: DCF

What discount rates are you using to figure out a company's intrinsic value? And how did you come up with these numbers [i.e. inflation, sector historical growth]?

I have been reading over Warren Buffett's annual reports but I haven't come across a passage where he gives a hint on how he does it. Perhaps the cat from the desert can brighten my day [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I admit I'm so giddy right now due to exciting implications.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Re: A fundamental question: DCF

What exciting implications??
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What exciting implications??

[/ QUOTE ]
I get really excited when I learn something new. It's probably my motivation for learning things.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:31 AM

I had a post a while back on private companies: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1

Still looking for that publication...
Old 09-10-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What discount rates are you using to figure out a company's intrinsic value? And how did you come up with these numbers [i.e. inflation, sector historical growth]?

I have been reading over Warren Buffett's annual reports but I haven't come across a passage where he gives a hint on how he does it. Perhaps the cat from the desert can brighten my day [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't get too excited since this stuff is well known. Anyway this might help:

DCF Analysis: Calculating The Discount Rate
Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM

CAPM is a pretty silly way to calculate the discount rate. Volatility in share price really isnt that good an indicator of cash flow risk.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't get too excited since this stuff is well known. Anyway this might help:

DCF Analysis: Calculating The Discount Rate

[/ QUOTE ]
Calculating intrinsic value off generic equations on the internet using the cash flow derived from net income - capital expenditures + amortization + depreciation isn't something to get excited about, though I did anyway when I first started.

The exciting part is I read "The Essays of Warren Buffett" last night and intrinsic value started to make a little more sense [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CAPM is a pretty silly way to calculate the discount rate. Volatility in share price really isnt that good an indicator of cash flow risk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahnuld,

Give me some tips in that investment mind of yours!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:53 PM

I may be mistaken but you can just got off some variation of standard CAPM. I mean, generally the risk free rate is always the 10 year yield, and the risk of the market is about 4-5%, so depending on what type of business it is go from there (aka, small drug makers something like 4.4 + (5x2) and a stable company like mcdonalds something like 4.4 + (5x.05))
Old 09-10-2007, 01:55 PM

the thing about CAPM that sucks is if a company (look at USG) gets killed due to some temporary bad news or because of a downturn, its beta goes through the roof. Now you are supposed to say due to the stock markets short term outlook and irrationality the fundamental business has changed? People wont need drywall in the future? To me this makes no sense and thus Beta is pretty worthless when being used to discount cash flows.