Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Default weak, or way to weak?

Bellagio 15/30. A few players have just switched out so the table has no rhythm. Villain is a young fellow, new to me, and has shown down a couple big pairs that he played strong/straight forward the whole way. Other than that he is unknown.

Player in the CO posts both missed blinds. All fold to him and he checks, I raise red QQ on the button, SB folds villain makes it 3 bets from the BB, poster folds and I make it 4 bets, he calls. It's a 5 bet cap.

Flop Kd 6d 6h. He check raises and I fold.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: weak, or way to weak?

I would probably 3-bet here and sometimes call UNLESS his checkraise could mean a king and only a king (while that's the most likely hand for him he could also have something like 10's or JJ and play like this hoping you will fold there or on the turn). If he is very ABC it's different. The dynamic of the hand (with the poster checking and you raising the button may increase the number of hands he'd 3-bet you with out of the blind also). Plus, if he had a king, would he really want to decloak so soon? Depends on the player.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2007, 01:05 AM

I'd rather check behind here than bet-fold. You've got the queen of trump, there's $200 in the pot back to you, and they guy's a young, strong-playing fellow.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 AM

i think you should either do what andy said, or what jeffage said. either check behind, or bet/3-bet.

andy - if you check behind, is the plan to fold the turn, if bet into unimproved? or to call the turn, and fold the river? or to call down? seems like they all offer some benefit...

If you bet/3-bet, then I guess the plan is to check behind on the turn, and call a river bet. this makes sure JJ or TT doesn't outplay you. and gives you some free cards against AK or AA.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 AM

This seems a lot like AK. I think 3 betting the flop is a pretty big spew a majority of the time.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Your games may be different than mine, but against 95% of the players in my games the fold to the flop c-raise is standard in this spot. I mean, you've shown great strength preflop, a King comes on the flop and villain still c-raises you. If hes ballsey enough to do this with 1010 or jj, the ONLY hand you can possibly have for him to hope to outplay you is precisely QQ.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:21 PM

I'm calling down unimproved.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:54 PM

Whats with all this 3 bet stuff? Why can't we just call down UI? If he's got a hand like TT/JJ he's going to keep barreling so let him hang himself.

Checking behind here has some merit b/c there are very few free cards to give. Villains hand is weight so heavily to TT+/AK/AQ that your almost never against a flush draw b/c the Kd is out. You already have the Qd and if he's got the Ad he's never folding b/c if you 3 bet he's goin to call and certainly call a turn bet w/a diamond draw. The only hand you need to worry about freebe's is a hand like AQ/AJ, which is unlikely to c/r unless they picked up a flushdraw in which case it doesn't matter too much weather you bet or check because they will be calling down regardless and they have very close to %50 equity on the flop.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 AM

Unfortunately the player is basically unknown to me. But, I'm unknown to him also. It's for that reason that I gave him more credit for a K then I would a regular in the game. My pf 4-bet has to look strong to him, and a K66 flop would seem to touch my hand. As such, I think he would check raise the flop w/ a K rather then wait for the expensive street and risk me checking behind or 3-betting w/ a dominating hand.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 AM

I think this may be the best line to take against an unknown. I'm basically getting 7-2 to call down after checking behind on the flop. Also, the flop check will look like KK to him and may stop him from putting on a move during the expensive streets.