Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 PM

Default How to be a better driver

I know that people hate bad drivers and almost 99% of the population think that they are a better driver than everyone. I'm part of the 1% that knows that I'm not a good driver. I try to stick to the right lane and drive the speed limit, even though every one else is speeding. I'm trying to improve and be a better driver. Does anyone have any suggestions? I drive way too slow and brake way too early and feel awkward driving.

I'd welcome any suggestions from the pro drivers out there so thtat I'm not a tool on the roads.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: How to be a better driver

Sounds like you're a better driver than 98% of people since you don't risk killing someone.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=9124308
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you're a better driver than 98% of people since you don't risk killing someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Driving the speed limit on an interstate is not acceptable and very dangerous to us good drivers.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 PM

Don't drive near people, keep a safe following distance, try to avoid being in situations where people are tailgating you, and don't drive near people's blind spots.

Drive SUPER slow and carefully in parking lots, otherwise just do what the rest of the traffic is doing on highways and normal roads.

Try to avoid being in the right lane on the highway, especially near congested merge lanes. This is a huge blunder that causes traffic jams and accidents.

Don't accelerate towards red lights or packs of cars that seem to be slowing down. If you're going the speed limit and approaching the car ahead of you quickly, you're doing something wrong.

And obv use your turn signal and give cars behind you some time to notice. Not paying attention to the driver behind you is a huge error.

And obviously don't drive behind cars towing things or with a lot of exposed crap in the back.

A general mark of a good driver is one that changes lanes a LOT, btw, mainly to gain efficiency and avoid possible danger spots.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a great thread.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:14 PM

It depends a lot on where you live/drive. Every region has its specific strategies.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He asked how to be a better driver not how to make himself think he is a better driver.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:29 PM

I just moved to Buffalo, NY for a job. traffic here is not very heavy and to minimize any sort of traffic related problems I got an apartment that is 1 mile away from work.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 PM

If u wanna do it and have fun doing it then play a bunch of driving video games (seriously. This will keep u driving in extreme situations which translate into the real world pretty well for me. Ive never been in a highly aggressive enviroment driving wise until I went to Manhattan. This place has the most aggressive driving I have ever seen (almost got into 3 accidents in one night as everyone was in a rush). I fit in real quick though as the aggro driving I learned in the games just kicked in insticntively so I could hold my own. In Manhattan it seems everyone drives 50+ no matter what and was the sickest thing Ive ever seen. I live in Delaware where the driving is way more laid back until ur on the highway/freeway but when I was younger I did use them as my own speed course going 100 mph everywhere lol.

edit: I can remember a 40 yr old dude at the arcade playing a driving game and losing horribly saying that the game and real driving were 2 totally different worlds. Now looking back I laugh cuz its not that different once u get used to driving. If anyone has ever played the newer need for speed games then they know about drifting which really went into my driving when there was snow in my neighborhood. Good times baby. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]