Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Would you let this friend crash at your place?

Ok, so back about 5 years ago when I first started teaching, I met this other teacher, I'll call him John. John was this Korean guy, and I'm not sure how to describe it fully, but he was just 'out of it'. He was soft-spoken, and just didn't seem like he was aware of what was going on around him. Plus socially he was always kind of awkward.... and when you would talk to him, it didn't seem like anything ever got through. Just a strange kind of person. A nice guy overall, I suppose, but just... weird.

Anyway, after flaming out as a teacher after 1 year (anyone could tell within 10 minutes of meeting the guy that there's no way he'd have control over the class), he enlisted in the Marines, and he went to Iraq for a few months and all that. He just got back a couple weeks ago and he left the following voicemail on my cell phone:

"Hey, this is John.. Gimme a call back at <number>... Uhhh... I need a place to crash for tonight, because my uncle's not in town. So yea, gimme a call back. Ok, bye."

Ok, wtf? Maybe I'm just being a life nit, but if _I_ were asking to crash at someone's place, I might consider throwing a 'please' or 'thank you' his way. It's like he's just inviting himself over here, and that really rubs me the wrong way. Yea, I know he was in the Marines, yada yada yada, but that's no excuse for not having some common goddamn courtesy.

So, am I being too much of a nit here? I dunno, inconsiderate people rank pretty high on the list of people who annoy me, so maybe I'm overreacting.

[EDIT:] Also, I don't even know if I'd go so far as to even call this guy a 'friend'. Acquaintance is probably closer to an accurate description. I never really hung out with him or anything, other than getting lunch after school once a week or so.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Would you let this friend crash at your place?

you failed to mention how good of friends you were, or if you were just work acquaintences etc.

edit:
you edited right as i posted. its a little rude, but if its not a big imposition I wouldnt mind

also, Im much more inclined to let him stay becuase he gave you an out if you dont want him to. him stating his intentions in the message makes me think he is a decent guy

also, burning out of teaching because he cant control a class....and than going into the marines?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 PM

No way.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you failed to mention how good of friends you were, or if you were just work acquaintences etc.

edit:
you edited right as i posted. its a little rude, but if its not a big imposition I wouldnt mind

also, burning out of teaching because he cant control a class....and than going into the marines?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahhahahhahah... yea this was pretty much all I and my other teacher friend Rich would talk about with John during the time period from after he signed up with the Marines to before he quit teaching. It didn't make much sense to us either. But John felt that since he didn't get enough respect in the classroom, he wanted to go to the Marines so that he would be respected more. We told him he was an idiot and would probably just end up being killed (he's rail-thin and not athletic), but he ended up enlisting anyway.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 PM

i woudln't, but i'm kind of a dick when it comes to peopel crashing at my place.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 PM

No way duder.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Nope. Cell phone somehow didn't give you the message.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:52 PM

I dont even want my freinds to crash let alone just some "acquaintance", if I consider him a friend though then Id let him. From ur desciption of the relation ship I dont think so.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 PM

Sooga,

I wouldn't, but I'm sorta like oddjob for people I don't consider good friends.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 PM

this is weird, why do you guys care if someone stays over?