Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM

Default bank roll question

i was wondering what you guys do when you are over rolled for one limit but not comfortable being at another one.

I have 7k online. 35 buy ins for 200nl , but only 17 for 400nl. do you guys take random shots at the higher level or what?? I am DEF. not comfortable playing 2-4 w/o a min of 25 buy ins, but 35 for 200 seems like over kill.

thanks for any help.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: bank roll question

I believe that your bankroll should be about 100 times the limits your playing at, which would put you at the 50NL games.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was wondering what you guys do when you are over rolled for one limit but not comfortable being at another one.

I have 7k online. 35 buy ins for 200nl , but only 17 for 400nl. do you guys take random shots at the higher level or what?? I am DEF. not comfortable playing 2-4 w/o a min of 25 buy ins, but 35 for 200 seems like over kill.

thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no rule that says you have to move up just because your bankroll grows to a certain level. If you're not comfortable playing NL400, just stick with NL200 until you get to 10k AND you feel confident enough in your game to take a shot at it.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that your bankroll should be about 100 times the limits your playing at, which would put you at the 50NL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

100 times? Most players would never get out of NL10 at that rate. The general concensus is around 20 buyins.

To OP, as thoman8r says, if you're not comfortable moving up yet, stay at NL200. 20 buyins is a guideline. No one says you HAVE to move up when you get to that level.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your skill level is. If you think you have an edge in the game, play 400. If you are not sure and want to find out - mix in some 400NL tables and set a stop loss. I would play 400NL full time with 5k.

Lucky
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM

People look at their cash and consider that their entire bankroll. But if you're young, you have a lot (maybe $1 million or more) of human capital, ie future earning potential if you're not work-shy. What's $7k in the scheme of things then?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general concensus is around 20 buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The general concensus is around 20 buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. If you are willing to move down if things don't go well, you can easily get by with 15 buy-ins, which would put you firmly in the NL400 area.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Greetings, this is off topic, but being a beginners thread and about bankrolls, I thought I'd stick it here. What does EV+ or EV mean when speaking about bankrolls? I get most other abbreviations, but not this one. My guess is even.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greetings, this is off topic, but being a beginners thread and about bankrolls, I thought I'd stick it here. What does EV+ or EV mean when speaking about bankrolls? I get most other abbreviations, but not this one. My guess is even.

[/ QUOTE ]

EV means expected value. +EV means you have a positive expectation, that is, your are a winning player.

To OP, I think lucky mf's suggestion is good. I would take limited shots at the higher stakes. Only thing is, I wouldn't mix limits and I'd play fewer tables because I'd want to concentrate more.