Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 AM

Default decided to learn how to play poker: help with this 25nl hand, please.

greetings,

i am leaving my comfort zone of sngs/mtts/full ring and learning nl cash 6max. i have been a profitable player from day one, but i'm not making nearly what i could. i have never really studied the game or put any effort into improving. that's all changing. i am starting with only one table at 25nl 6max and am determined to plug my leaks and get a solid understanding of the game before moving up and adding tables. i played twelve tables profitably at full ring, but that's just autopilot, obv. i want to really understand every facet and play as high as possible.

i'm going to be here asking a lot of stupid questions, getting past playing on instinct. here is my first stupid question:

i think i missed a lot of value in this hand. first of all, are my bet sizes correct? secondly, when i was raised on the river i felt that the jack had improved the villain to a good hand, but i wasn't sure if it was the nuts to my second nuts. i just called, in case villain had 9T. however, i was thinking about the hand afterward and i realized that villain's range includes more hands that i beat then it does that beat me. i also know that villain would have called a reraise with those weaker holdings. so, my thinking is that if there is only one hand that beats me and a bunch that do not, but will still call my reraise then the reraise is the most +ev, since the majority of the time i win. it just seems so obvious. i suppose this is standard and i'm an idiot for calling, but please tell me if my thinking is correct. this has to be a reraise, right? also, how much do i make it?

thank you.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

CO ($30.90)
Button ($31.15)
SB ($80.30)
Hero ($39.10)
UTG ($66.10)
MP ($18.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with , .
2 folds, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.85) , , (3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($0.85) (3 players)
Hero bets $0.75, CO calls $0.75, Button folds.

River: ($2.35) (2 players)
Hero bets $1.5, CO raises to $4.5, Hero calls $3.

Final Pot: $11.35

Results in white below:<font color="white">
Hero has 9s 6d (straight, nine high).
CO has Jc 7s (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $11.35. </font>
Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: decided to learn how to play poker: help with this 25nl hand, plea

I'd bet flop.

River's a little scary but I think you can still 3bet there.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Re: decided to learn how to play poker: help with this 25nl hand, please.

BET the flop you need to start to build the pot if you want to get villains stack in the middle..As a rule do not slow play straights...Too many scare cards can come that either kill your hand or your action...

3 bet that river 9T is highly unlikely since IP villain do not bet the flop with a OESD...
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: decided to learn how to play poker: help with this 25nl hand, please.

You should definitely lead the flop for something like 0.75. People limped, so no one is likely to bet this for you if you're hoping to check-raise. People are more likely to have draws, and will call bets on this flop rather than make them. Plus a scary turn card could kill your action if it gets checked through and discourage anyone from calling a turn bet by you.

The river Jack is basically a cooler if it gives your opponent a straight; it's hard not to lose a chunk there. And it's a matter of preference whether you want to maximize potential value (and variance) by re-raising when your initial river bet is raised. It helps to consider the opponent's tendencies (overplays medium-strong hands, slowplays sets to the river, whatever.) I would say, if you have any kind of favorable read, try to extract the most; otherwise, just call his raise.

Whatever you do, the pot should be larger by the time you get to the river.