Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Default How to play the low flops (HU) with TP vs. more agro preflop raisers

A somewhat overly aggressive (not preflop necessarily) preflop raiser open-raises from one off the button with at least A6+, QT+, 66+ (or he could have other standards, not the complete point here) and only I call from the BB with whatever (e.g. K8s if I insist - vs. such players I like position and I like better hands, so this looks like a mistake; it could be A9s too, that's also crappy. Then I may have a pocket pair like 88 that flops a second pair, or an overpair vs. somewhat more solid player) and the flop comes LOW and I flop a top pair with a reasonably draw rich flop.

How should I play that hand if I suspect the opponent is going to bet that flop half the time or automatically, and there's maybe a 33% chance he is going to bet the turn (or river) also about no matter what he has, but I am not sure, maybe even river. He has me covered; I have 50x the BB.

One of the main points is that I suspect that if I check-raise he might reraise up to all-in (this could be a 3x rr or an all-in rr and it makes no difference to what he has) some of the time with just overcards (I don't know how often but it's in the air) that may or may not contain an ace (more likely when it contains an ace and he sees that low and somewhat draw rich flop).

Should one rope in those cases though one won't know if he (a non-solid player) will continue to bet. The fact that I have a king or an ace makes it somewhat safer to rope, but having a weak top pair with lets say 89 makes it harder to call his flop rr.

My line of thinking is that if I know he is going to bet the turn too (with nothing), I will rope basically all pairs, and more so if he might rr the flop and I don't know for sure what he has. If he is likely to rr the flop with like all hands, then I will cr all pairs.

But if I only SUSPECT a flop rr move might happen and I am not sure what he will do on the turn and river if I rope, I have a problem (something I likely should try to avoid preflop already) as both the flop cr (could be as little as 2x) and the rope are like bad moves.

(And there's no reason to bet when he is going to bet that flop often enough - though his c-bet might need to be as much as 3/4 of the time as he might have better hands otherwise but it's also not a high flop so I am not sure - with a worse hand and I don't know what he has if I bet and he raises. Betting out looks like the best move if he might often enough check the flop and might not make a move often, but then a check-call T.J. style vs. a solid player could be as good, or just check-fold, or bet half the pot. So, there's something to think about, but I don't figure this to be the correct line in this specific case.)

But I think, if I am worried about his rr, I should rope, and if I am not THAT worried, I should cr and fold to his rr though some of the time he has only two overcards.

I am not too fancy about the cr with "weak" solid hands (I do like it better with the TP here than with e.g. an MP, and I am not thinking here what to do with the lesser hands) but in case I am so unsure where I am if I rope, I like the ease of the cr. But just like at limit holdem, I haven't generally seen the point in the cr when one is going to call it down if the opponent reraises (right there rather than on the turn) (and the opponent continues to bet).
Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: How to play the low flops (HU) with TP vs. more agro preflop raise

First of all I don't like the calling with K8 out of position. Your usually going to miss the flop and he is almost always going to bet and make you fold the flop.

Calling with the mid pairs I like.

With the pairs check Raising is a bad idea in these spots. If you check raise the flop and get called, then what are you going to do the rest of the hand? check, check? A lot of opponents, especially aggressive ones, will see this as being weak and will bluff you off the best hand.

The answer is the same as every other answer to most questions about poker. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW YOUR OPPONENT PLAYS.

Will he fold to a bet if he missed the flop? If so, bet the flop.

Will he call with overcards? If so, bet the flop.

Will he reraise almost any bet on such a weak board? If so, check, call, and bet turn.

Will he cbet almost 100% of the time? If so, check,call, and bet turn.

Play pots with him, see how he reacts to your checks, bets, and raises.(You don't have to wait for a monster, but don't play weak hands either) It may cost you some to get a feel for his play but it is well worth it once you have his game figured out.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: How to play the low flops (HU) with TP vs. more agro preflop raise

dont put yourself in marginal situations against better players by defending with k8. just try and make hands and stack the kid if hes going to 3barrel almost any board.