Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Maniac starts the action

UTG is a maniac. He's like 60/24/5 and down about 300bb's. He stacks off light, with hands like 2PWK and bluffing. He doesn't fold easily, except to me. He has tightened up a bit though since he's gotten deeper. CO is a passive TAG, 20/8 or so. I nitted up and didn't feel like playing a super deep pot with JJ.

Please tell me how to make more monies on all streets. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $110.30
BB: $180.85
UTG: $199.95
MP: $98.50
CO: $138.25
beachbum (BTN): $129.25

Preflop: beachbum is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $5.00</font>, MP folds, CO calls $5.00, beachbum calls $5.00, SB folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($20.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">CO bets $12.00</font>, beachbum calls $12.00, 2 folds

Turn: ($44.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">beachbum bets $35.00</font>, CO calls $35.00

River: ($114.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, beachbum checks

Pot Size: $114.50 ($3 Rake)
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Maniac starts the action

have to 3b pf, im really confused why you called

as played i raise flop, turn is fine and bet river, theres still value left in them jacks, esp since the board is paired.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have to 3b pf, im really confused why you called

as played i raise flop, turn is fine and bet river, theres still value left in them jacks, esp since the board is paired.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the kind of villain (not this particular hand) where you come across him with such little frequency anymore. I really tend to become a rock with a player like this at the table and pass up some decent sized edges with less than the nuts.

As to why I didn't raise, I guess I just didn't want to get into a pissing contest on a KT3r type of board and felt it. Yes I'm ahead of his range but like I said, I tend to wait for high equity spots. Plus, when pots get big, maniacs tend to be even more maniacal.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 AM

3betting preflop is important both for value (since you very likely have the best hand) and for isolation (get CO the [censored] outta there so you're HU with monkey boy).

I don't *hate* the flop call, just because CO seems nitty. I do think a raise is better since it will get value from tens (esp since you didnt 3bet pre) and flush draws.

Turn looks good.

River is probably a bet. I don't see how he shows up here with a king and checks over the river, and you can get a small bet called by Tx/99ish hands probably.