Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Completing in SB/Early Levels

What range of hands do you guys complete with when they're 2 or more people in the pot in front of you? We are talking about the early levels, which are in my opinion the first two on PS and PP, but for Ultimate the third level I'd consider early as well.
I don't like playing weak offsuited Aces but I tend to complete with many suited and/or connectors. I guess my range would look something like this:
A2s+, A8o+, K7s+, KTo+, Q9s+, QTo, J9s+, JT, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+ and any pair.

Do you have any recommendation? Would you play less suited cards, because you play Draws kinda passively in STT's and you are OOP.

Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Completing in SB/Early Levels

With two limpers you are getting 7-1 to complete the sb, and since the players are likely garbage (they are limping after all) my range is probably similar. I am definitely completing with all suited aces, all pairs, and connectors 45 or higher. At level 1 this is like 1% of your stack on party and well worth it, especially considering you are only continuing with the hand if you hit the flop hard - you shouldnt be spewing after you complete, but there is a nice ability to build your stack from the players that limp and like to pay you off the times that the dealer cooperates
Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 PM

I complete pretty tight. Reverse implied odds are more significant than preflop odds playing OOP against 3 opponents. The better you are post-flop, the looser you can complete - but it may not suit all styles.

I complete 22+,A2+,KQ and maybe some suited broadway. Possibly some smaller suited connectors if the players in the pot were fairly straightforward and passive postflop.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM

The new PNL book says -

Out of position = out of action.

Applies to SnGs too.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The new PNL book says -

Out of position = out of action.

Applies to SnGs too.

[/ QUOTE ]

PNL Book? Which one are you talking about.
And what exactly do you mean by out of action? Are you saying that if you hit you get paid out on average soo much less, that it's not really worth playing any mediocre hands OOP?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 AM

PNL = Professional No Limit (Cash Book). Out of the action = fold.

It's not about hitting and not getting paid it's about hitting just enough to draw at the hand where you cannot control the price of the draw because you're not closing the betting action.

But whatever if you want to complete lots of hands from the SB because it's cheap no one is going to stop you.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 AM

The better you play postflop, the looser you can profitably complete. Playing a weak hand OOP is a problem because you'll not only find it harder to win big, you'll find it easier to lose big. You're taking excellent preflop odds on trivial amounts of chips in exchange for awful postflop reverse implied odds for your whole stack.

In a cash game, you can profitably complete very wide (if that's your style), but in an STT it's not usually a great idea.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM

If by profitably complete you mean not losing as much money as you would have if you folded every single SB then yeah.

If by profitably complete you mean actually winning money from the SB then no.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If by profitably complete you mean not losing as much money as you would have if you folded every single SB then yeah.

If by profitably complete you mean actually winning money from the SB then no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously it means the former. The latter is meaningless.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In a cash game, you can profitably complete very wide (if that's your style), but in an STT it's not usually a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I can't tell you how many times I have stacked a donk with a flush, straight, two pair or full house from the SB. Limping suited connectors, ax suited, one gappers etc is definately profitable. You just have to know when to let go of a hand.