Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Default General Strategy Question..

I'm relatively new to the O8 game, unsure about a play I made today.

Heres the way the action went down. On the turn, I made the nut low. I'm playing $0.25/$0.50 HORSE on FT. 5 players call all the way to the river, I feel almost certain they're all going high.

I don't normally pay that much attention to the table talk, but three of the players, including one not even in the pot, went ballistic about what a donk play this was. While I know it's not, under normal circumstances +EV to draw to 1/2 the pot, isn't drawing to 1/2 the pot in a 5 way pot +EV?

From my perspective, and please correct my thinking if needed, I'm drawing at the lowest possible low, which was in this case 8432A, and I have four opponents betting every street, I must profit, unless I'm quartered? Correct?

~Mike
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: General Strategy Question..

And the HH

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $7.65
UTG+1: $21.05
MP1: $5.50
Hero: $6.35
Button: $19.70
SB: $8.45
BB: $3.85

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is CO with
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12SB, 6 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9BB, 6 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, Button folds.

River: (13BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 17BB Results in white below
<font color="#ffffff">UTG showed 3s 5c Ah 6c</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed 3h Ts 4d 2c</font>
<font color="#ffffff">SB showed Tc Th 9h 9d</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB showed As Jh 2d 7d</font>
Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 PM

Preflop is loose. I wouldn't want to play this hand for a raise.
On the river I think you should raise. I think it's far more likely that you get called by 2-3 high hands than that you get called by another nut low and only one high hand.
Overall not played too badly though. Your opponents are either bad or trying to level you.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 PM

You should't call pre-flop with this hand for a raise. After you catch that flop, however, you're in for the duration. The only thing you did wrong was not raising along the way.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM

fold pf to a raise
you could raise every street, but waiting til turn is fine, and riv also raise it up
Old 08-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Ignore the people accusing you of a donk play. Folding the hand preflop would be standard, but calling a single raise isn't terrible at a 0.25/0.50 HORSE table where you have to figure that the overall level of O/8 play ranges from barely acceptable to awful.

I'd raise the turn and the river myself, I think the pot is big enough on the turn, that folks will stay in at 0.25/0.50 with any decent high draw (diamonds, OESD, two pair, set) or with a 2nd or 3rd nut low (5-2 or 5-4, either of which gives them a gutshot draw to a monster hand). Also, you are much less likely to be quartered with this hand than if your nut low involved holding A-2 or A-3.

On the river, closing the action, there's no reason not to raise. The risk/reward ratio is hugely in your favor.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 AM

Thanks for all the great replies. Normally I would've folded pf, but I was playing considerably looser than normal because I was getting unbelievably good implied odds when I did hit, plus I had position, although looking back at it after getting some rest, I didn't use to my full advantage.

The river call was actually a misclick btw, I did intend to raise the river.

So apparently, by what I'm gathering, my big mistake was not raising the turn, so here's what was going through my head at the time, so that we can correct my thinking.

My thinking was, if I raise, I'd be more likely to cause everyone to fold except SB, which I put on either AA or 99. I'm relatively new to these HORSE games on FT (I'm a NLHE guy)

Is it pretty standard that I can expect these guys to call a rr without a good two way hand? My fear was, if I rr and am called, or reraised, I would be facing a tie for the bottom and get hung in the middle of a raising war on the turn and river for the top if one villain had 99 and another AA in a three way pot.

Perhaps I am giving too much credit for these stakes?

I think my problem is that they were all what I would consider "decent" HE players, and I mean decent in terms of the average $.25/$.50 LHE player on FT (knows just enough to fold 27o and raise AA, usually) not decent in terms of your average 2+2er, so I guess I mistakenly gave them the same amount of credit in the other games.

BTW, OT - I don't play alot of Omaha, or much Stud, but am looking into getting more into the HORSE games. Does PT Omaha and PT Stud display the same stats as PT HE does (VPIP, PFR, etc)?

Appreciate all the replies.

~Mike
Old 08-28-2007, 09:30 AM

Mike I have PT and PTO and those hands get imported to the right PT. However I can not get any HU display or mucked cards to show on those horse tables.