Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Default HOHv1 vs NLTH by largay as second book ?

im looking for advice from people who read both books. I just finished reading GSIH and it was an ok book for first book - i guess it gave me what i need to understand terms in poker literature and it gave me a solid short stack playing strategy for NL. Im aiming to play no limit cash games only for now. What do you think should be my second book(to start realy understanding how to play nlh poker):
1. NLTH:a complete course by largay
2. HOHv1
if ill read NLTH first - HOHv1 will be my second(and the other way around).
i thought about reading NLTH befor HoH since its aimed to low limit and this is what im going to play at the begining. so if ill read it first i will be able toadjust concept from books ill read later(like HoH) to my low limit games...
what do you think ?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: HOHv1 vs NLTH by largay as second book ?

These two books are night and day. HOH is about tournaments, the concepts presented within do not translate well to a cash game.

For cash games we tend to recommend Professional NL Hold'em, its a new release from 2+2. Largay'd book was the best thing around when it came out but its value has been marginalized by PNL.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:25 PM

i have the all 3 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Largay'd book, HoHv1 and PNL. since im a begginer i dont think PNL is good choise for first real book, it got a bit more adanced concepts. i planned reading Largay'd book +HoHv1 and then PNL(and then move on to ToP and NLPTAP). what do you think?
and from all reviews i can tell that HoHv1 is good to cash games too- isnt it right ?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Play small stakes limit hold 'em, read Small Stakes Limit Holdem, until you can consistently beat them. Once you have some (or a bit or a lot) of experience, then go into no limit with a big advantage.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play small stakes limit hold 'em, read Small Stakes Limit Holdem, until you can consistently beat them. Once you have some (or a bit or a lot) of experience, then go into no limit with a big advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah... if i plan to play nl i think no limit experience will be more worthwhile. anyway even though i aim to play for money, currently i play for fun(and learning) and limit is no fun imo.
there is no point in spending time on learning limit strategys and theory(+gaining experience) if i plan to play nl only.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 PM

HOH 1 is still pretty good as a first book for cash games, because it discusses the fundamentals of hand selection and bet sizing. After that I'd read Largay, then PNL. Or go straight to PNL. Largay is a little more ad hoc, PNL is more organized into a general strategy.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 PM

what do you mean by "ad hoc" ? and did you read all of the 3 ?
Largay one looks more fundamental then HoHv1... but this is why im looking for an opinion from someone who read both.
PNL is a bit more advance and doesnt realy cover the fundamentals this is why i save it for the third book.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 PM

none read both books ?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im looking for advice from people who read both books. I just finished reading GSIH and it was an ok book for first book - i guess it gave me what i need to understand terms in poker literature and it gave me a solid short stack playing strategy for NL. Im aiming to play no limit cash games only for now. What do you think should be my second book(to start realy understanding how to play nlh poker):
1. NLTH:a complete course by largay
2. HOHv1
if ill read NLTH first - HOHv1 will be my second(and the other way around).
i thought about reading NLTH befor HoH since its aimed to low limit and this is what im going to play at the begining. so if ill read it first i will be able toadjust concept from books ill read later(like HoH) to my low limit games...
what do you think ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best NL holdem material for a beginner after Getting Started In Holdem is Ed Miller's Poker Made Easy articles on his Noted Poker Authority Website. They include, 7 Steps to NL Success, The NL Toolbox, and he is just beginning a starting hand series. In addition, there are several essays on his site which explore short stack play in more depth than GSIH goes into.

If you still want beginner-level stuff after GSIH and Poker Made Simple, then read Little Green Book by Phil Gordon.

If you feel ready for intermediate level-material, then read:

Professional No Limit Holdem &
Pot Limit & No Limit Poker by Ciaffone & Reuben

I re-read the Ciaffone book the other day and it's still excellent.

For further study, read No Limit Holdem Theory & Practice.

Other secondary books of interest for NLHE side games include the SuperSystem chapter and HOH1. But SuperSystem is geared towards deep stack play, not 100xBB capped games. And HOH1 is geared towards early tourney play, which is similar to but different than cash game play.

Some like Largay's book. Some like How to Dominate. Some like Mastering No Limit Holdem. I don't think those books add much, if anything, to the literature, however.

Finally, next spring, PNL2 and Harrington on Cash Games 1 & 2 get published. These will be must reads.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For cash games we tend to recommend Professional NL Hold'em, its a new release from 2+2. Largay'd book was the best thing around when it came out but its value has been marginalized by PNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true for live 1-2 cash games, which Largay's book is targeted at? I still can't decide which one to get.