Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 PM

Default AA gets min-raised by unknown on turn. 50NL

So I play mostly Full Ring, but I'm playing some 6-max to improve my play largely in situations like these. In FR, when someone minraises it's usually a set. I'm not so sure in 6-max. This is literally villain's first hand at the table, so no reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($47)
Button ($87.70)
Hero ($48.25)
BB ($43.90)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB calls $3.

Turn: ($10) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $12</font>...

P.S. I don't like my bet sizing very much here.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: AA gets min-raised by unknown on turn. 50NL

Something I've noticed a little lately (it is, however, a very tentative observation at this point) is that some players seem to be imitating the donk tendency to min-raise with monsters, as a way of utitilizing an overused and very popular play with a monster to go for folding equity on the cheap with marginal hands.

A couple of factors in your favor:

(1) It's a raise and not a checkraise;

(2) The raise came on an obvious scare card;

Oh, and (3), Villain could be getting a little out of line in this blind vs. blind battle.

Some competing factors that work against you:

(1) It's an ambush min-raise that came on the turn rather than the flop;

(2) The turn card is a scare card, true, but nevertheless, it's a scare card that could have easily hit Villain's hand, partly because . . .

(3) There's hardly any chance he's folding a T to a flop c-bet in a blind battle.

So there you go. I guess I call, because I have aces and I want to see what Villain's river follow-up is. I'm not willing to play for stacks at this point, though.