Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Rippetoe: YoureToast is getting strong!

Inpired originally by SamG's great thread and reading some incredible threads on bb.com, I decided to give Rippetoe a shot. I don't have the book yet, but I read some of the very good material on the web and got started about 2 weeks ago. So far, the results have been good as I keep pushing up more weight. But my lower back is aching a bit and I am quite certain that my form is messed up, particularly on the squat.

As a result, I took some video today during my workout and would appreciate some feedback. I apologize in advance for the bad quality, but this came from digital camera. It should be good enough for constructive criticism. I plan on posting and keeping my log later.

Here's my squats video -- I can't help the lean forward, but is this all thats wrong?

squat

Military Press:
military

Pendlay rows:
pendlay rows

Please be nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Rippetoe: YoureToast is getting strong!

need to see full body for squat, if not, then at least the lower half, upper half doesnt really do much
Old 08-26-2007, 07:01 PM

I was afraid that might be the case. I'm in small room so its hard to do, but I'll try again next time.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 PM

The lean forward is your problem. You are turning the exercise into a lower back exercise when you lean forward and if you dont keep it tight throughout the movement you could injury it. This is probably why your back hurts. You should work on form with lower weight until you are sure you have it nailed.

The press and the rows look great. Notice how your back is straight and held in position throughout the entire movement on the row. It should be the same on the squat.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:55 PM

I can't tell about your squat.

Your row looks solid to me.

I like your press-- the second rep might be a hair lazy/abbreviated-- maybe it is lighting, but the barbell doesn't seem to get quite behind your ear. #3-5 you seem to clearly be continuing to press out at the top. Personally, I'd be happy will all the reps, just being a bit of a nit. (My inexpert $.02.)
Old 08-26-2007, 10:01 PM

Serendipity, a video of himself on the press:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...struction2.wmv
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Serendipity, a video of himself on the press:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...struction2.wmv

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks....Thats a good video.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The lean forward is your problem. You are turning the exercise into a lower back exercise when you lean forward and if you dont keep it tight throughout the movement you could injury it. This is probably why your back hurts. You should work on form with lower weight until you are sure you have it nailed.

The press and the rows look great. Notice how your back is straight and held in position throughout the entire movement on the row. It should be the same on the squat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats what I'm gonna do. I'll drop the weight about 25-30% and go from there. This is a completely new exercise for me and my hamstrings are tight so that makes it tougher too. I'll drop the weight and see if I can improve the form. One thing I notice though is that when the weight is really low (like the bar), I have trouble getting fully into the hole because there's not enough weight pushing my butt down.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 PM

I know dick about lifting, but wouldn't that be even more incentive to drop the weight, maybe even practice some air squats? I've done plenty of air squats in my time, and it took time to learn proper balance while keeping your feet flat and getting your ass to grass.

Seems like your poor form would likely be a reason you have trouble getting your ass down.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know dick about lifting, but wouldn't that be even more incentive to drop the weight, maybe even practice some air squats? I've done plenty of air squats in my time, and it took time to learn proper balance while keeping your feet flat and getting your ass to grass.

Seems like your poor form would likely be a reason you have trouble getting your ass down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. In fact, I practiced some air squats when I got to work today. I think I'm just realizing this lift takes practice, whereas I guess I have enough past lifting experience to handle some of the other lifts better. (Although I think my deadlift form sucks too, which I plan on posting later.)

This week will be dedicated to improving my squat form, while continuing to increase the weight in my other lifts. I'm glad to know that my presses and rows look ok. Thats encouraging.