Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 03:15 AM

Default BBV4L - I need your advice (longish)

I has a situation. Ordinarily I wouldn't seek advice from an internet poker forum on any subjects other than poker, cat pictures or issues related to balling, but I love you guys and some unbiased viewpoints would be appreciated. It's a situation where, in all honesty, I don't know if I'm being a dick or not.

I have a friend. He owes me a small debt. The debt consists of 100$ worth of gas and a cable bill from a previous shared lease. So we're talking 140$ here - the money isn't incredibly significant to me, and certainly is not an amount I want to risk ruining a friendship for.

At the end of July, me and this friend left from Iowa to move to lovely Las Vegas. To make a longish story short, his car broke down in a shitass town in Utah (are there any non-shitass towns in Utah?), about 420 miles away from our destination. He stayed behind in the town to get his car checked out while I took off (before you say I was a dick for leaving him, you should know that I was transporting a reptile and another 2-5 days of no food/inadaquate space could have potentially fatal for the little guy).

The following day, which was the day I arrived in Vegas, he found out his car was totaled, so he let me and another buddy know that he needed to be picked up. The next day my buddy rented a van and I drove the 400+ miles back through Arizona and Utah and picked him up.

Since my buddy with the car problem was a)jobless b) almost completly broke and c)now transportationless, I agreed that he could defer the loan untill he got back on his feet and started working or whatever. This deferment could have gone on for 123123 years as far as I was concerned - as I said the money isn't really the issue.

Here's the trouble. My friend has found away to get enough money together to play -EV pit games ~four nights per week. He also plays poker, and has booked several wins when I've been present that were three and four times what he owes me. In all honesty I don't even have a problem with him playing poker, even though he's not rolled for the game - He was a breakeven/marginal winner at nl25 online but he's definitely solid enough to beat the mouth-breathing waterheads at the live nl200 out here. The problem for me is the pit games. To me it seems unethical to openly gamble at -EV games when you owe money. Am I wrong for thinking this?

So tonight, we go play poker and my buddy books another ~400$ win or so (he actually stacked me at one point, but that's another discussion). So I asked him if he wanted to pay me the money he owes me, figuring that he would. He declined.

Questions:

1) Am I a dick for asking for the money?
2) Is he a dick for gambling on -EV games when he owes money?
3) He just started working earlier this week. If I shouldn't have a problem with the Pai Gow and BJ, when exactly should I expect to be paid?
4) How much does OOT suck, really?

TL;DR
Buddy owes money but refuses to pay, even though he has moeny to play -EV pit games several nights a week. Who is wrong?

And, of course,

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: BBV4L - I need your advice (longish)

He's molesting your cats by the way.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's molesting your cats by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't live in the same place and those are most definitely not my cats, although I also molest them occasionally. ^_^
Old 08-24-2007, 03:19 AM

dude it's like $100. It's so small that he might have forgotten about it. If you just bring it up casually and don't make a big deal out of it, you're not gonna offend him unless he's a [censored] [censored].
Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude it's like $100. It's so small that he might have forgotten about it. If you just bring it up casually and don't make a big deal out of it, you're not gonna offend him unless he's a [censored] [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't forget about it, and I asked for it tonight while he had 600$ worth of chips in his hands. I have not made a big deal out of it. I have no idea why asking for money that one is owed should offend anyone.

Again, the money isn't the issue here.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:21 AM

1) no
2) yes
3) If he has money to gamble but won't pay you, he's not intending to pay anytime soon
4) Never posted there
Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 AM

your friend sounds hella gay
Old 08-24-2007, 03:59 AM

SIIHP

didn't really read it, hoping this advice can help tho
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 AM

[censored] his friendship. He is the one that doesn't think enough of your friendship or highly enough of you to pay it back. (I'm kicking a roommate out by the end of the month if he doesn't pay half of his debt [total debt 850])
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 AM

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. If you were cool with him playing -EV games while owing you, you should expect to never get paid.
4. A lot. F OOT.

5. Yes, the money is the issue. Maybe not the amount of money, but it definitely is the money. If he doesn't pay you back, he tries to [censored] you around, ergo he's not your friend.