Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Hitting an increasingly stronger fade with increasingly longer clubs

My normal shot is a draw. I can hit this 98% of the time with everything from P - 5 Iron. When I get to my 4 I start hitting it straighter... then my 3 iron is a fade and my 2 iron is even more of a fade. I will often "miss" with my driver by hitting a high push/fade to the right.

So I'm not sure what it is about my swing that is causing my ball flight to change so much depending on the length of the club. I'm confident that I would fade a 9 iron if it was as long as my 2 iron, but maybe not.

Anything I can look for that might help fix this problem? Should I just deal with it and play a fade with the longer irons and a draw with the shorter ones?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Hitting an increasingly stronger fade with increasingly longer clubs

I used to fall into this. I think its easier to start drawing the lower irons because the ball is usually played further back. I'm not really a good person for swing analysis but are your hands still ahead of the ball at address for your 3 iron?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Hitting an increasingly stronger fade with increasingly longer clu

I try to play all of my irons from the same place in my stance, but maybe I'm not noticing a subtle difference.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Hitting an increasingly stronger fade with increasingly longer clubs

How about your driver and 3 wood?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Uh never mind. You've got to play the long irons anywhere from a ball to two balls forward. When I was hitting long irons (thank god for hybrids!) I played my 3 off of my L heel. Never carried a 2 iron. Devils club.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:40 PM

I normally hit my driver fine, but probably because I play that off my Left heel. I'll move the longer irons up in my stance.

I love my 2iron btw [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Based on what you've said, it can't have anything to do with swing path. It's got to be clubface rotation at impact, and ball postion could have a role in that (i.e late versus early squaring of the clubface).

I suspect that you have a pretty good swing plane (perhaps slightly inside on the downswing), and that your club face gets closed earlier on the shorter clubs causing draws and is late on the longer clubs causing fades.

Another posibility is that you swing harder with the longer clubs and with your tempo off your clubface lags behind and doesn't get closed.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:38 PM

Bruno, I'm not going to say don't change anything, but I will say that you are hitting all those clubs the way they are designed to play.

By their very design Hybrids are popular because they play like short irons and lofted woods in that they are easy to draw (or minimize a slice). When you think about it, fading your long irons helps you stop them and drawing your short irons helps you control their trajectory. If it aint broke
don't fix it.

quick edit....

Reread you OP and yes you would draw a 9 iron with a two iron shaft. Center of gravity in the head and the loft dictate this. If you really want to draw your driver get one with a little more loft on it.