Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 PM

Default TR: Sunshine

this movie got pretty good reviews. so i went to go see it today.

i would have rather stared directly into the sun for 2 hours.

there was no hottie in the movie, so i don't know who was going around blowing all the movie critics. maybe cillian murphy? if your name is "cillian", i guess it's a fair bet you like to suck [censored].
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: TR: Sunshine

worst review ever...please return to BBV4L
Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 AM

lol TR = Trip Report

this was not a review. it was a complaint about the reviews of this movie.

if you read the reviews of this movie, and thought maybe this movie was worth seeing, you should consider yourself lucky that you've read my trip report, whether you liked it or not.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 AM

I'm surprised, as I've listened to/ read a few reviews, and I've gone from seeing the trailer and thinking 'that looks sucky' to 'this sounds pretty good'. Some critics have even suggested it holds its own against the greats like 2001, Solaris (the original) and Alien, which impressed me.

Maybe I'll wait for the dvd.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:30 PM

I saw it and thought it was pretty great....but like seemingly every movie made by this writer/director team, it falls apart in the third act. But defintely worth seeing and one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen in years.

Plus, Rose Byrne is a hottie.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol TR = Trip Report

this was not a review. it was a complaint about the reviews of this movie.

if you read the reviews of this movie, and thought maybe this movie was worth seeing, you should consider yourself lucky that you've read my trip report, whether you liked it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

its also the worst TR ever. Nothing of interest happened you went and watched a movie. You also don't even seem to have a high enough IQ to talk about why you thought the movie or even your trip sucked...oh wait...cuz it didn't have any hotties and cillian seems gay.

Dom...garland has a history of simply not being able to write a 3rd act...and Boyle is all visual and doesnt tend to get into the nitty gritty of story development(like a lot of shooters) so Garlands 3rd act disasters never seem to get fixed.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this movie got pretty good reviews. so i went to go see it today.

i would have rather stared directly into the sun for 2 hours.

there was no hottie in the movie, so i don't know who was going around blowing all the movie critics. maybe cillian murphy? if your name is "cillian", i guess it's a fair bet you like to suck [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss that bombshell of an 8 year old? Dancing? HOT.

No but seriously, there's already a thread about this movie, and your TR sucked.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM

the lack of a hottie had nothing to do with my dislike of the movie. for example, i recently saw "once", and there was no hottie that movie, but i still thought it was great.

but whatever, i didn't want to explain *why* i thought the movie sucked. my post was not about the movie. it was about the reviews of the movie. so, i shared some thoughts i had about how the reviews of the movie could possibly be so far off.

obviously a couple of you are so intellectual that you didn't understand what i was saying. oh well. sorry i didn't post up to your level.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you miss that bombshell of an 8 year old? Dancing? HOT.

No but seriously, there's already a thread about this movie, and your TR sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i don't think you even know which movie i was talking about. here's a hint: i put the (entire) title of the movie in the title of my post.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: TR: Sunshine - A real review

I'm really suprised by this.

I enjoyed it very much.

Overall, you have to consider, I think, what the filmmakers intended. This is definately a movie to be seen on the big screen with a large sound system.

The whole plot is revealed in the trailer. On some future Earth, Sol has stopped fusing and the Earth is turning into a giant iceberg. So much for Global Warming. Anyway, scientists have concieved of a plan to reignite the fusion artifically. The second Icarus mission carries the last remaining minable fissile material on Earth in a last gasp effort to save humanity.

Of course, the technology of the ship is far beyond anything we have today, but is still recognizable as a product of a NASA ancestor. The sequences brought about by the utter dependence on the technology of the ship were very convincing writing for me, as a vetern submariner.

The special effects were magnificent. The directing was top notch, I thought, with innovative camera work. Some parts of the film gave a realistic portrayal of what it must be to be inside a space suit. The key actors really gave it their best effort, too. I would have liked a three hour movie with lots of room for character development, but the studio must have cut it down. Some of the characters were very, very, convincing.

The plot toward the end was a little lacking, with the story of the previous Icarus mission thrown in to provide a conflict that would ultimately have to be resolved. I thought they could have made the same movie with a storyline about the internal struggles of the characters on an almost certain suicide mission and I would have liked it just as much. The Cinematic Experience is what won me over, here, and it happened in the first five minutes.

See it. In the theatre.

The darkness is void, separate from you. But the light consumes you and makes you a part of it.