Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Yes It\'s that time again (1500th post)

It has taken me much longer then most 2p2ers to reach 1500 posts. I don't post that much but my game has improved as much as anyone because of the STT forum and this forum has presented me a lot of amazing opportunities both in life and in poker. I have been able to bounce ideas off some of the best poker minds in the world and although I missed the first two STTF "events", I have met some of my best friends through the poker network that was formed at the time. I actually remember making fun of Peter (Apathy) for going to hang out with his internet poker friends but almost everyone I've met through 2p2 has been really cool and I would consider a large group of these people to be amongst my best friends.

I guess the whole idea of these posts is to give something back to the forum so I will outline 3 of the most important lessons I've learned since I skipped my first class to play a Bugsy's club freeroll(first place was 750 Bugsy points or $7.50!!!!) in my dorm room in first year.

1. Talking

Yes, it's that easy. Talk about poker with people that are better than you, talk with people that are at the same level, and talk with those who are worse. Never be above a conversation. If someone thinks a line different than yours is optimal there is a reason for it, and even if in the end they are wrong try to at least understand where they are coming from and explain why you think another line is better. If nothing else it will get you thinking about the game which can't be bad.

2. Thinking

Play every hand in that moment. So many people are quick to autopilot especially in SNG's. Certain choices are obviously automatic (folding 59o UTG in level 1) but sometimes you can make a great play just by paying attention to the details of a hand. Sometimes a river call can become a thin river raise, sometimes a river fold can be a bluff raise. Think of every possible action and even if it is not a normal line it could be the most +ev.

3. Detachment

Lastly as Irieguy eluded to in "The Difference Between Success and Failure", the poker world will unfold as it should. Your have basic decisions, raise, call or fold. Beyond this you have no control. To be fair I am still far from accepting this, especially after the year I've had so far, however I am much closer to keeping my feelings and my play separate then I was a year ago, and I have faith in another year I'll been even closer to where I want to be. This might be the hardest and most important thing for a poker player to develop and there is no amazing player who does not posses this quality.

Lastly...

My tangent on life/poker. A few months ago I took my dad out for his 60th birthday to one of the best steakhouses in Toronto and then to the Toronto vs Montreal hockey game (he's from Montreal and is a huge habs fan). For non-hockey fans this game not only had the usual Toronto-Montreal hockey rivalry, but also huge playoff implications. There is no way I would have been able to have the chance to do something like this for my dad without poker. Sure the "balling" stuff is nice but for me this was an awesome opportunity which poker afforded me.

I have an amazing group of friends and family, I have the ability to play a game I enjoy and I happen have gotten lucky enough to make some money doing it. I know a lot of people on this forum are in the same situation as I am. We should all step back and remember for a second that poker is a game. Anyone who is good enough or lucky enough to make money at it should be truly grateful and never take what they have for granted whether at the 11 sngs or 200/400 NL. Sure it's nice to make a sweet river call or a huge bluff, but just remember there's more to life then the flop, turn and river...and no preflop doesn't count.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Yes It\'s that time again (1500th post)

Holla buddy
Old 08-23-2007, 04:11 PM

yeah, holla for sure.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 PM

preflop doesn't count???? - Rigged!

Nice post Inyaface

Thanks,
B
Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holla buddy

[/ QUOTE ]
Your still alive?
Come to Toronto. We bought a volcano just for you guys
Old 08-23-2007, 04:39 PM

nice post, gave me a few things to think about , grats on the big 1500
Old 08-23-2007, 04:43 PM

np man. You Torontonians are all pretty chill.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM

haven't read it yet, but who are u?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM

thats the truth.

people really underestimate how important it is to talk/think about poker with ANYONE that will listen.

its fun and it will improve your game. IME, its much easier to find a leak in someone else's game than it is in your own. So exchange HH's. You'll be surprised how many things you learn about your own game.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM

It's amazing how simple the ideas in you're post are, but at the same time, how difficult it is for most people to realize their importance.