Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 10:52 PM

Default hand from High Stakes Poker on GSN

theres alot of hands i feel were misplayed on this show so if this thread gets some interest ill post some more. lmk.

blinds 300/600. doyle brunson starts the hand with 164k and fred chamanara covers. everyone at the table agrees to live straddle for 1 orbit.

utg straddles, folds to doyle brunson in CO who opens for 4k with Ac4c. sammy farha coldcalls behind him. (sammy has been playing ridiculously loose). SB folds and BB, chamanara calls. chamanara is an amateur who appears to be pretty bad. hes not playing nitty. a bit tricky i suppose but hes not checkraising air.

flop is A46 with 2 hearts.

checks to doyle brunson who fires out 10k into a 16.3k pot. farha folds and chamanara checkraises to 30k in the BB. folds back to doyle. what should doyle do at this spot with 150k left?

with doyle brunson's image, that being a man who plays very passively and doesnt continuation bet much, i think he should definitely smoothcall the flop and get the money in on a safe turn. if the turn is a 6 then doyle can fold to a bet. if a heart hits he can get away from his hand when facing a big bet. i think chamanara will continuation bet the turn with alot of hands especially since doyle is not going to be raising this turn unless he has a big hand, so chamanara doesnt have to fear getting blown off a hand with alot of outs too often. in the actual hand doyle pushed allin and i find this horrible.

what do you guys think?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Re: hand from High Stakes Poker on GSN

It's only moderatly more than pot-sized raise. If he, as you do, assumes that flush draws are a decent chunk of his range, then pushing seems to be the best play. Why let him see an unsafe turn for free? Punish him for check/raising his draw.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM

I haven't seen a single episode of this show yet, but what do you mean Doyle's image is passive? Didn't he write Supersystem, the bible of power poker? Did he slow down as he aged?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM

chamanaras raise sucked.
doyle played fine, AI was the pefect play.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theres alot of hands i feel were misplayed on this show so if this thread gets some interest ill post some more. lmk.

blinds 300/600. doyle brunson starts the hand with 164k and fred chamanara covers. everyone at the table agrees to live straddle for 1 orbit.

utg straddles, folds to doyle brunson in CO who opens for 4k with Ac4c. sammy farha coldcalls behind him. (sammy has been playing ridiculously loose). SB folds and BB, chamanara calls. chamanara is an amateur who appears to be pretty bad. hes not playing nitty. a bit tricky i suppose but hes not checkraising air.

flop is A46 with 2 hearts.

checks to doyle brunson who fires out 10k into a 16.3k pot. farha folds and chamanara checkraises to 30k in the BB. folds back to doyle. what should doyle do at this spot with 150k left?

with doyle brunson's image, that being a man who plays very passively and doesnt continuation bet much, i think he should definitely smoothcall the flop and get the money in on a safe turn. if the turn is a 6 then doyle can fold to a bet. if a heart hits he can get away from his hand when facing a big bet. i think chamanara will continuation bet the turn with alot of hands especially since doyle is not going to be raising this turn unless he has a big hand, so chamanara doesnt have to fear getting blown off a hand with alot of outs too often. in the actual hand doyle pushed allin and i find this horrible.

what do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not playing 300/600 quite yet, but I like the push all-in. Here's why: Fred isn't representing a hand as "bad" as ace-jack - he's representing ace-king or ace-queen much more often here, or a flush draw. If he's got a set Doyle is paying him off, obviously. Gabe Kaplan said, and rightly so, that an amateur is very unlikely to have a heart draw in this spot, but a heart on the turn still shuts down Doyle's action as now Fred has to be worried that Doyle has hit a flush. A 6 counterfeits his hand and Doyle has to worry about any Broadway card two-pairing Fred as well as any heart killing his action. That's about half the deck that might shut down his action or give his opponent a better hand. Given that Fred is likely to be on ace-king here, and will probably pay off, it's a very good bet by Doyle, IMO.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Which cards were the two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 PM

well, standard play is typically to call and move in on a blank after they bet the turn

but if the amatuer is bad, and will go broke with AX, you should get the money in before you fold the best hand / etc.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 AM

With a 4 and 6 on the flop and two hearts, Doyle is going to be pushing allin in this sort of situation with a ton of suited connector type hands. He probably feels his opponent is now aware of this strategy and expects this Fred guy to instacall with AK and AQ, and given Doyle's range that might not even be a mistake. The only play I would disagree with in the hand is Fred not reraising preflop if he indeed had a big ace.

Also: "with doyle brunson's image, that being a man who plays very passively " I just have a completely different view of Doyle, maybe thats why I feel the hand was played fine.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with doyle brunson's image, that being a man who plays very passively and doesnt continuation bet much

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2006, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with doyle brunson's image, that being a man who plays very passively and doesnt continuation bet much

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused too. As an aside, I thought it was pretty funny when Eli Elezra limped in the SB, and Doyle raised to 10k with 96o or something.