Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Beginners Clubs

I recently went golfing for the first time in my life with a friend of mine. I used his dads clubs (not certain what they were) and basically shot triple-bogey golf (no idea if this is good or not for a first timer), but had a blast. I've been several times since and have caught the bug.

I'm going off to school in a few weeks and am looking into buying a set of clubs to play the university course. I have no idea really where to start. All I know is that I want a used set that I won't be blowing more than $400 or so on. Any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Beginners Clubs

I followed the advice of this thread;

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=2#Post11549155

Picked up the Golden Bear's for $180, putter for $40, and bag for $60 all from Dick's.
If you want used, hit up ebay or take a knowledgable buddy with you to a golf discount.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:46 AM

I highly recommend EBay for the irons and woods but going to your nearest golf store for a putter and having a go on the practice green with every thing they have in your price range.
Are you shorter then 5'9 or taller then 6'1 if not a standard set of clubs should be near enough your specs for you to be comfortable using them. If your tall or short have a look at Ping's web fitting guide If you need longer clubs your choices are limited a little but their are still sets about. If you need shorter clubs then any set can be cut down for a price.
As for what clubs to get id recommend
One sand wedge with 12 degrees of bounce which is standard and should make it useful from the sand or off the grass.
One set of oversized cavity back irons pw-5 iron you might not be able to find a set with out the 3 and 4 iron but if you can save your self the money to spend on.
A 21* degree hybrid, or a 7 wood if you hit your woods better then your irons.
A 4 wood.
I think it’s a good idea to use the 4 wood for a while but if you want a driver get one with at least 11 degrees of loft for added forgiveness.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 PM

go to dick's and you can get a brand new set including bag, irons, woods, driver, putter and covers for $150-$300. its a sick deal. i just picked up a set of slazengers for $300 and my bro got max fli's for $300 and we both love them. plus at dicks they have a back room u can try everything out which is pretty sweet.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 AM

i wouldnt buy clubs on ebay... many are fakes.