Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Winning in tough holdem games by stoxtrader

Im reading Winning in tough holdem games by stoxtrader and on page 102-124 theres countless of results from defending in the big blind. Theyve lost money with all but the best hands so my question is, should u really defend with anything but the best hands here?

Or maybe even if u loose say 0,3BB with A5s in the ling run u should call because of the money thats in the pot allready. As u can tell I dont think ive quite understood these results and how to interpret them correctly.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Winning in tough holdem games by stoxtrader

[ QUOTE ]

Or maybe even if u loose say 0,3BB with A5s in the ling run u should call because of the money thats in the pot allready.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lose less than 0.5 BB/100 hands by playing a hand, it's better than folding.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Ok, this is going to sound harsh, but if you don't understand playing a hand to reduce your long term losses from the BB, then maybe you shouldn't be playing "Tough Holdem" games...
Old 08-09-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this is going to sound harsh, but if you don't understand playing a hand to reduce your long term losses from the BB, then maybe you shouldn't be playing "Tough Holdem" games...

[/ QUOTE ]
if u dont understand my post maybe u should not post
Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Not to HJ this thread but do you guys like this book? I got it and was not impressed at all. Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to HJ this thread but do you guys like this book? I got it and was not impressed at all. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you play. I found it's pretty good for 10/20. For 5/10 it depends on the table. There's little formulaic about tough games as many of the lines are read-dependent.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you play. I found it's pretty good for 10/20. For 5/10 it depends on the table. There's little formulaic about tough games as many of the lines are read-dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll give it another shot but I was pretty turned off by the "Here is a 40 page dump of hand stats from Poker Tracker. These hands made money, so these are the hand you should play" approach to many of the topics.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It did sound harsh... and pointless. Hope it made you feel superior.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll give it another shot but I was pretty turned off by the "Here is a 40 page dump of hand stats from Poker Tracker. These hands made money, so these are the hand you should play" approach to many of the topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

IT was more of an - "this is how we determined our starting ranges approach, and you can do yours the same way if you want. If you choose to do so, we have provided our data for comparison".

we could have left the data out entirely and still retailed the book for the same price. the purpose was not to pad the page count but to make the book more complete.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the second best book ever written on limit hold'em (behind SSH). And I think the gap between 2nd and 3rd is fairly large.