Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Default TPTK, did I play this right-- WWYD? (First Post)

The hand history converters keep saying that they don't recognize this format even though they say they support FTP (what am I doing wrong?)...anyhow

Short handed $1/$2 at FTP

Pokrec is doing pretty good at this table...he's up about $30, but I don't have a lot of hands on him...so far, he seems pretty loose passive (VPIP:31, PFR: 1, Agg: 1...over only 96 hands)

Ze Elias (VPIP:34/PFR:12/Agg:.77) I have more hands on, and he's about the same as Pokrec except he's bleeding chips and raises more preflop.

My image at the table has probably been somewhat LAGish

Dealer: Hand #3291840157
Dealer: Hero posts the small blind of $0.50
Dealer: Pokrec posts the big blind of $1
Dealer: You have been dealt [Kc Ac]
Dealer: Myturn84 calls $1
Dealer: Ze Elias calls $1
Dealer: Moshka folds
Dealer: Kold folds
Dealer: Hero raises to $2
Dealer: Pokrec calls $1
Dealer: Myturn84 calls $1
Dealer: The flop is [7c 9d 5s]
Dealer: Hero bets $1
Dealer: Pokrec calls $1
Dealer: Myturn84 folds
Dealer: The turn is [Kd]
Dealer: Hero bets $2
Dealer: Pokrec calls $2
Dealer: Ze Elias calls $2
Dealer: The river is [Tc]

What do you do next? (And what would you have done differently before here?)
Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: TPTK, did I play this right-- WWYD? (First Post)

hey! welcome to the forums. you know you can handtype a post. there's little symbols right below where you post that you can click on that can express the suits of the cards.

most importantly, for analysis you need to include the pot size on each street. on the small bet streets(pf and flop) you need to include the potsize in small bets. on the big bet streets(turn and river) you need to express the potsize in big bets.

everything is standard assuming you value bet the river. if raised, call. your lag image will result in people playing back at you with weaker hands. therefore it is necessary to payoff because you actually beat more of their range due to their putting you on a lesser holding. of course if you bet, there's a raise and then a subsequent reraise it's most always necessary to fold a onepair hand. if someone hit their straight or two pair, such is life. that's part of why it is so difficult playing out of position, but it's part of poker and you want to lose as little value as necessary as a result.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 PM

First, welcome to the forums.

If you can't get the converters to work, just type in the story of your hand. It also isn't considered good form to include names of other players, unless you have their permission. Sometimes, you play against another 2+2 player, and they might say something like, 'let's post it, it was an interesting hand,' and then it is ok.

So, your hand might go something like this.

Shorthanded 1-2 on FT, BB is running good, but seems loose passive(31/1/1) UTG+1 is a little Laggy(34/12/77 or was that 7.7) and might be on tilt.

UTG and UTG+1 limp, Hero raises out of the SB with AK of clubs, BB and both limper call.

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, both call.

River, T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My action?

OK, the nature of holdem, is that whoever is ahead on the flop, is probably ahead on the turn, and whoever is ahead on the turn, is probably ahead on the river. In my opinion, the biggest key to successful limit holdem, is value betting.

I'm not sure if you were ahead on the flop, but, I am pretty sure that you were ahead on the turn, and although some straights and two pairs did come in on the river, I expect that most of the time, you will be ahead on the river. I bet, expect to be called, and expect to win.

A long time ago, in a similar hand, with a scarier river card, a good player(Dynasty) told me 'that if I bet, and PAID OFF EVERY TIME I was raised, I would be ahead of the players that checked the river.'

So, in this case, I bet the river without any thought, and then if/when I get raised, I put in some thought and usually call.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 AM

Nuts, I had a longer reply to this and apparently it got trashed.

Thanks for the tip about betting and paying off in this case, I'll definitely give that some thought.

I decided to err on the side of caution here...the river just gave me a sinking feeling.

I checked, BB checked, UTG+1 bet, I called BB folded.
UTG+1 turns over J8o.

FWIW, I really did think I should have bet there normally but the bad feeling I had about that river overcame it.

Thanks for the replies, I'll format the hand properly and remove the names next time.