Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 AM

Default fat chicks were popular until when?

in Europe, fat chicks were considered desirable, correct? when exactly did this change in the West and pretty much everywhere else? if our sexual tastes are determined by evolution, how do you explain dudes digging fat chicks such a short time ago?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: fat chicks were popular until when?

Flared trousers used to be popular and! made a comeback for a while.

chez
Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in Europe, fat chicks were considered desirable, correct? when exactly did this change in the West and pretty much everywhere else? if our sexual tastes are determined by evolution, how do you explain dudes digging fat chicks such a short time ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Our sexual needs are determined by evolution, but I don't think our sexual tastes are. What we find desirable can change much more quickly, since we are subject to fashionable persuasion. Heck, what I myself find desirable has changed somewhat since I was 17!

The main thing we have evolved to like are attributes we consider healthy. Healthy people are more likely to produce healthy children. Women with larger hips (who are more able to bear children), clear eyes, nice hair, are all signs of good health.

But fashion tastes can and will change more rapidly. I guess this includes weight.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 PM

You have to look at why 'fat chicks' were considered desirable. And i believe that the reason was that fatness was correlated with wealth. Only rich people had enough money to buy enough food to get fat, so fatness was a luxury. Similar to the idea that being tanned was not desirable back in the day of yore because it ment that you worked in the fields, so light skinned people ment you were rich and played Halo all day. Today this perception has been reversed, being tanned means you have more free time, or are visiting a tanning salon.
On another note, there is an ideal size for woman that has not changed in recent history and is accepted by all peoples. A group of anthropologists or some kind of smart people, went all over the world with a selection of pictures of womans mid-rifts and had people select the most desirable size and basically every man selected the same one, even in remote tribal area's that have had little contact with the developed world.