Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Default interesting River decision/nut straight on 3flush paired board .5/1

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>
Mp just sat down so no reads and SB is your standard micro limit uber fish.

Who 3bets/fold, 3bets/calls, call/call here?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: interesting River decision/nut straight on 3flush paired board .5/1

I call/call here, hoping SB overcalls - never fold this.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: interesting River decision/nut straight on 3flush paired board .5/1

I call until i showdown. I thought about a 3-bet for a second until i realized we could get an overcall.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: interesting River decision/nut straight on 3flush paired board .5/

I just don't see raising as an option :
- a made flush will call =&gt; you're beaten and lose 1 more BB
- the nut flush will cap =&gt; You lose 1 or 2 more bets
- worse hands will fold because of the flush draw =&gt; you don't gain anything

If you call, you may induce Kx, Jx, 5x or Q9 from the SB to call.

A fold... hmmm. Maybe. But what makes me hate a fold is that there is no FD on the flop.
What makes me like it, is that both SB and MP woke up on the river...
That could be a 5 from the SB, who was hoping to C/R the turn.

I may even consider a call/fold here =&gt; I just can't see SB 3-bet with less than a flush.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: interesting River decision/nut straight on 3flush paired board .5/

I put a response here last night, then erased it because it didn't convey what I wanted to say properly and I didn't have to time make is say what I wanted it to, and then have it get flamed.

I don't like an over call here at all.

Your call has to be good here more than 25% of the time to make it a break even call because sometimes SB will make it 3 when it comes back to him.

At these limits, players are not sophisticated enough to raise here to throw you off your hand.

There are no reads, therefore we don't know that this person is retarded.

I give him credit for his flush and fold. What does SB wake up with that MP says he can beat? SB is not likely folding, and may even 3 bet it himself. SB in my opinion has to have at least 2 pair. I seriously doubt he has anything less than that. If MP has 2 pair, is he raising this board now? Maybe he has a read on SB, but all things being equal this is a clear fold in my mind because the majority of players at this level aren't sophisticated enough to make a move like this.

Remember, you are not making this play for this hand. You are making this play for EVERY time this situation comes up, and I would argue that if you called this double bet every time, you will lose money.