Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Default PS 5/10

PokerStars 5/10 Omaha/8 (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

This hand occurred today in literally my first hour of ever playing any Omaha/8 cash game. I had read Bill Boston's book and the first 50 pages or so of Mike Cappellitti's book. I thought I remembered Mike recommending playing high hands when the table typically has 5 or more players seeing a flop, which this one did, but I'm not sure about playing this hand utg.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T, K, K, Q.
Hero calls, 2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, 3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 3, 2, K (5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero??? Is donk, check/raise, or check/call/lead high card turn standard?

Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls, Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls, Hero calls??

I think the turn is standard but will post just to make sure

Turn: (11.20 BB) 6 (4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets</font>, MP3 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero folds

edit: cleaned up converter
Old 08-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: PS 5/10

once there are as many bets in the pot as there were you have to draw to the boat on the river i believe. MP2 will most likely smooth call MP3's raise and there will then be 15 BB in the pot and your drawing to 7, meh its pretty thin but i think you still have to call.

I like this hand in LP and not so much utg, in a crazy game like this one appears to be I may play it, but you just cant really pump the pot when you win without being in LP here
Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Limping is fine and you can easily ck-raise the preflop raiser here since you don't really mind xtra callers...

...capping is fine on that flop, but if there were 2 of a suit you could be a dog to even 1 hand so it prolly wouldn't be a good idea...

...turn card was the 2nd worst for your hand and you lost at least half of that pot and might have only 10 outs for 1/2 so...

...if you're against 45xx then you're getting between 3,5-1 and 2,5-1...

...if you aren't against 45xx then there are at most 16/44 cards that will kill your high on the river and...

...then there are some other random crap you might take in to consideration, but they are rare enough so we might as well forget them (no low on the turn and/or underset making quads on the river) so...

... weather you should call/fold depends on how likely you think either 1 of your opponents has 45xx and how often the pot will be capped on the turn so...

... i have no idea [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cap flop, muck turn... otf you're never behind and ott you're never ahead (and i doubt the pot is big enough even if you could extract 2 big bets otr if you hit)
Old 08-15-2007, 12:47 AM

MP2 3bet the flop and bet the turn, so I was expecting him to 3bet. He almost surely has A4. I guess he might only call if he doesn't have a good high and is afraid of being quartered.
As you say best-case scenario is that MP2 will just call, meaning I'm calling 2 BB to win 8 BB (15.25 BB pot/2, + I hit about 20% of the time, and when I hit I make 1 BB, so 7.625 + .2 = approx. 8 BB). I know my 4 cards, 4 community cards, and I'd say it's pretty safe to say that my opps have at least 4 cards that are not pairing the board (given their actions they must both must have A4xx or 45xx) so out of the 40 unknown cards, 10 help me, so I have 3 to 1 odds.

Of course I was kind of expecting MP2 to 3-bet and MP3 to cap, which is why I folded. There was 11.25 BB going into the turn, so if I believed that it would be capped, I would be calling 4 BB to win 9.325 BB (19.25 BB/2 + .2BB on river), for under 2.5 to 1 pot odds.

With my 3 to 1 odds of hitting it seems like you may be right since it's a bigger mistake to fold when he would've just called then it is to call when they're ready to cap. Only problem is I felt confident that MP2 was going to 3-bet so I actually still prefer folding.

Results: river offsuit 4, the both show A4 with missed flush draw, MP2 has A24 and takes down the high with 2 pair.

Haha the results may be why I decided to post this, but at least it got me to do some math, which I'm usually too lazy to do.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:01 AM

Nice catch... I forgot to factor into my calculations that I might actually still be ahead for the high... if I miss and MP3 just calls the river then I can call since MP2 would pretty much have to have exactly A245 A345 or AA45 to have 45 since he raised preflop... considering I thought that even against 45 it was marginal the fact that I might be ahead probably makes this a call.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 AM

And i was too tired to notice that you only need 3-1 to fill up :P

10-20% chance that your high is good on the turn is prolly good enough to offset the times when you lose an extra bet on the river.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 AM

Less than 50% that it gets capped on the turn and you have pot odds to call + 0,5-2 bets you get if you hit...

...clear call and if you cap the flop its even clearer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Ya I agree... it's funny cuz I felt so confident folding was the right play at the time. Silly om/8