Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Default KT tp from BB multiway

Think this might be one of the toughest situations in limit hold'em, playing from the blinds multi way with marginal hands.

Just sat down so Villain is unknown. Unsure of every street and action so plz help. Am i getting way to passive? River was also like the worst card in the deck so i was happy he didn't bet

Limit: $1/$2
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4SB, 4 players)
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG+1 raises, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](4BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: KT tp from BB multiway

I think you're fine. Looking back it's easy to say "I was ahead I should have bet, but you're out of position with top pair weak kicker. A read on UTG+1 would be helpful, and if he's a raising machine or takes free cards too much you might need to prevent against that by donking the turn, but since he's an unknown I don't think you played it poorly.

Once he checks through on turn it looks like he may be on a flush or straight draw. Then when the worst possible card falls on the river I can't blame you for not betting into him. I hope your river line was check/call though. And if pretty much any other card fell on the river you should have been planning to bet.

I read something by Ed Miller recently that said playing some hands passively doesn't make you a calling station, it's when you play all or most of them passively. I think with a medium strength hand, against aggression, against an unknown and out of position this is one of those times where you can afford to play passively.

nh
Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM

i would have raised or folded p/f, but that would be a little table dependent for me. the way you played I would 3bet flop b/c of obvious f/d. then take it from there, bet blank turn etc
Old 08-14-2007, 07:54 PM

that flop is really drawy. just 3bet and lead the turn. yes you played it too passively.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm never folding in this spot preflop. 3bet the flop and lead the turn. If he caps the flop I'm probably getting away from this hand on the turn, but a read would be helpful as to whether to c/f or call down from there.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would have raised or folded p/f,

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes little sense to me. please explain.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 AM

flop ok
bet/call turn
if raised on turn call. if called bet.

plz tell if im wrong
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 AM

I think this is an ok spot for a stop'n'go on the turn. My first thought was to just 3 bet the flop and lead the turn, but the board is so draw-heavy that they probably won't even make a mistake in capping it.

The river is a little read dependent; I may just b/f it. If you're not comfortable folding, then just c/c.

Raising preflop is ridiculous, and so is folding.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM

I think the only player you have to worry about with this flop is BB. Everyone else in the hand either has their hand in front of them or they missed.

It is not uncommon to flop raise a new player just sitting down to see what they will do if they are the first to bet out. It sets the tone and suggests to the new player that someone else owns that table, and do not get cute.

With the turn check by UTG+1 you can't be sure it was not a checkraise that failed. On the river, it's too late to take your check back as it would be surprising for UTG+1 to have a stronger hand than yours.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM

looks good.

im c/f this river to most unknowns