Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Overpair with 2 callers to the turn

Is this is an auto-fire on the turn? A turn bet commits me here pretty much right?

The raggedy flop and 2 callers seems strange - does this affect my line?

(Also in SPR terms, I have a bad one here for an overpair of about 9 - I'm seeing how a smaller stack makes this much easier to play.)

Limited hands, but early villain was 10/0 afer 28, late villain 19/1.4 after 70

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

SB ($4.65)
BB ($40.60)
UTG ($57)
UTG+1 ($12.05)
Hero ($30.15)
MP2 ($10)
MP3 ($23.75)
CO ($15)
Button ($22.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, K.
2 folds</font>, Hero raises to $1</font>, 1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $1, 3 folds</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) 6, 3, T (3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $2</font>, MP3 calls $2, BB calls $2.

Turn: ($9.10) J (3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero takes what line?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Overpair with 2 callers to the turn

Against these guys, I'm not so sure that, say, a $6 turn bet does commit you. I mean, I know your samples are small (and that's especially true for the BB), but both Villains do seem pretty passive.

That said, I think I am leaning toward a check. Getting called twice on that flop is troubling versus two seemingly tight players, and to the extent that it's not, well, they may not call with worse hands again on the turn. Also, JT (everybody's favorite!) just pulled ahead of you, so there's that to worry about in addition to a set. (In any case, I think your opponents have Tx and/or PPs; it's mainly a question of which Tx and/or which PPs.)

The decision also seems close to me, and it is possible that my recent bad run is influencing my thinking.

Anyway, a problem you do have here is that MP3 is still to act, and, personally, I wouldn't be check-folding here or anything. If you're beat, I don't see any way to get away completely unscathed other than an MP3 bet followed by a BB checkraise push. But it is possible that someone with a set will make small, trappy bets and you'll get to showdown more cheaply versus his monster than you'd expect.

In any event, if the turn checks through, I think I like a river bet (so long as BB checks again).

And I'm hoping someone else will weigh in on the turn, because I'm not sure about that street, really.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 AM

Bumping for some more responses...

Lack of respones = too read dependent? = no good answer?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:04 AM

Some questions Nick.

If a turn bet does commit you, then how does calling differ? I guess if MP3 bets $2 or something, we can call and re-evaluate, but if he bets $6 or $7, aren't we in the same spot?

Also, if you're thinking check, but not liking check/fold, could we check trying to keep the pot small if MP3 checks behind us, but push if he bets something reasonable? If we're going to get it all in anyways, at least a push keeps him from checking behind on the river with worse hands.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:05 AM

I'm definitely betting here. Yes, JT just pulled ahead, but now there is another draw on the board, so someone with something like 7d6d, 8d7d, 9d8d, etc has a pretty big draw now. This is a good place for a bet-fold. The only draw that would raise here is KdQd. Otherwise, a raise indicates two pair or better, and you can fold without feeling too bad about it.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 PM

I think this is a clear bet. I would bet 6 and feel very good about it.
I only like checking if we intend to fold to a biggish turn or river bet and I canīt see that happen.
So I bet confident in that I can interpret villains response to my bet.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a clear bet. I would bet 6 and feel very good about it.
I only like checking if we intend to fold to a biggish turn or river bet and I canīt see that happen.
So I bet confident in that I can interpret villains response to my bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you put the 2 villains on?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM

Realistically, at this stage you can't say much about their ranges. I would imagine that they could have any pair - they both seem so passive preflop that they may well never 3bet, so they could have 22-AA, most decent tens (9T-AT), 45 and any of the gutshots. You are only behind JT, sets and AA on the turn, so I would fire again ($6-8). Without a read, its hard to say what to do if they raise, as you don't know what draws they would raise. I don't agree that only KQdd raises here - any pair or straight draw that has picked up a flush draw could, and arguably should, raise here. If you think the villains are passive post-flop you could fold to a raise. If I get called, I bet most rivers (any blank, any 3, maybe a 6), as any better hand really ought to raise the turn.