Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Does this shoulder exercise exist?

I stumbled upon this the other day and it felt like it hit the rear shoulders really well:

Standing up, grab a dumbbell in each hand and let your arms hang along the sides of your body, just like the starting position of dumbbell shrugs. Now, instead of elevating your your shoulders, move your upper arms up, out and back, a bit resembling a bent-over row, the main difference being that you are standing straight up and that you upper arms are moving at 45 degree angle from your upper body. Imagine your elbows being pulled up by string helps.

The whole thing feels and executes pretty much like pushing a wheelbarrow. Well, except for the pushing part.

For the two or three of you that could understand the exercise despite my awful explanation: is there a name for this exercise? Links?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Does this shoulder exercise exist?

i dunno...upright rows?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 AM

That sounds like one of many rotator cuff exercises - it specifically sounds like "emptying the can."

Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For the two or three of you that could understand the exercise despite my awful explanation: is there a name for this exercise? Links?

[/ QUOTE ]

The technical name is: "Chick With a 2 1/2 Pound Dumbbell." As for a link, I think the summer Get In Shape special issue of Cosmopolitan had a piece on this.

I'm kidding. Really. Just trying to be funny and not offensive. The first part sounds a little like a high pull/snatch pull but without hip extension. The second part is not something I would do (out of superstition?) because if you notice, pulling exercises (or at least the ones I do?), even when the arms are bent, seem to rely heavily on loading the scapulae-- which it seems to me you are kind of circumventing. It seems like a basic test: if this feels less safe (not just harder) as the load increases, there's a problem with the movement. So, does it feel less safe as the load increases?

I may not understand, and I may be flat out wrong-- that's my thoughts. Again, hope the teasing didn't bother you.

edit: I've thought about this some more, and I'm not sure what I think. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 PM

Ok, I've googled some more now and couldn't find anything so I pulled out my cellphone camera and took a pic of myself doing this exercise (dumbbells edited out):

Seriously, this is what it looks like. It's not upright rows where your arms are moving mostly in front/straight out to the sides. It's more of a up/back sort of movement.

Edit: Before anyone says I just pushed the gheyness of this thread from a 2 to a solid 9, let me tell you this: I know.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Is the first part a lateral raise http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eralRaise.html

or more like a pull
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HangPull.html
Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Def. more of a pull. I'm a little busy right now, but I'll post a MSpaint illustration in a couple of hours (unless anyone has figured it out meanwhile).
Old 08-14-2007, 12:48 PM

I gather that anything you can do while standing with two dumbbells is an exercise that someone has a name for-- and if it creates a nice little burn somewhere then it is somebody's favorite exercise to hit body part X.

So you do something like a pull (but with shoulders down and retracted) and then press horizontally and recover the weight before lowering it.

I'm largely unfamiliar with body builder type movements/strategies.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM

This?

Raise
Old 08-14-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This?

Raise

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it. It's a variation of that one. I keep the dumbbells further back though, not dragging them along the sides as in that link. I also try not to raise my shoulders/shrug.